Forum Replies Created
-
Hi Shane…
Someone just FTP’d me a P2 folder structure of AVC Intra MXF.
I’m on FCP Studio 2.
I can’t log and transfer to convert to Pro Rez.
And I can’t interpret the P2 outside of FCP to convert with compressor…..
what am I missing?
thanks…
Alex
-
Alex Udell
September 10, 2011 at 12:39 pm in reply to: Any way to export a shot log from the timeline?xml may hold the key, but i don’t know much about tools to clean it up…
alex
Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Chumney & Assoc. Advertising -
WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO!
🙂
Alex
-
Alex Udell
September 7, 2011 at 1:42 pm in reply to: 18 features Adobe should borrow from Final Cut Pro 7Hi…
Your points are great, but:
I think the audio in Premiere is way ahead of FCP.
“3. Audio mixer affecting clip levels
Unlike Final Cut Pro, the audio mixer in Premiere doesn’t work on a clip-by-clip basis. Every adjustment affects the entire track.”Yes and no. The Audio track uses both methods simultaneously. But you need to set the audio track to show clip keyframes versus track key frames. This is done by right clicking on the track label. Pen tool allows for automation of either clip or track keyframes. Mixer only effects track keyframe automation. This means event sync specific automation should generally be applied at the clip level. While General mix finessing ought to be applied at the tracke level. Same with audio fx. They happen at either the clip (as effects filters attached to the clip) or track level (as inserts in the mixer).
“6. Close Gap command
Ctrl-G in FCP can be used to easily close a gap in your timeline. There is no equivalent keyboard shortcut in Premiere to do this in one step.”Agreed, the closest would be Shift Delete, but it requires you to select the gap first.
“15. No temporary snapping toggle
In Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 and higher, if you drag a clip and press the N key to toggle snapping, snapping will be switched on or off only for the duration of the drag. Once you let go of the clip, snapping reverts to its previous value. I found this feature very useful.”It’s not a dynamic toggle as you describe, but the Snap state can be toggled mid drag with the S key.
“13. No timecode reader filter
There is no filter to show the underlying timecode of a clip.”Effects>Timecode apply and set timecode source to “Media”
“14. No timecode overlay
Final Cut Pro 7 finally brought us a long-requested timecode overlay window. There is no equivalent in Premiere Pro.”The Info Panel will show source timecode of every source on every track where the timeline cursor is located.
“12. No ability to search for clips to reconnect
When media goes offline, you can browse to the location of the file if you know where it is but there is no way to search your entire hard drive.”I agree this could be handled better, but here is some help.
1) Generally I advise people not to change the name of the imported or ingested file in the Project panel, not because it changes the name of the underlying media, but because you might just need it later in this instance. In stead I suggest using the description column or some other metadata tag for edit renaming.
2) If media is off line, select the the text field for the name of the clip Prior to entering the link media dialog.
3) the search capability then is really handed to the OS but because you have already copied the text string, you can simply paste it into “SEARCH” on the Mac or the Windows equivalent “FIND” I’ve had pretty good success with this.In general PPro doesn’t do as well with what I’ll call Path relativity. Meaning that if it finds media, it will add that folder as a valid place to look for media for the project, but it won’t sniff parallel or subordinate folders. So if you move a top level media folder that contains project media a few levels deep, finding the top level stuff won’t “automatgically” help you find the underlying stuff even if, path relative, the folder structure is the same.
So that’s my thoughts. Welcome aboard and if we can help….we certainly will. Keep up the feed back though, I’m sure Adobe is listening. 🙂
Alex
-
Alex Udell
September 6, 2011 at 8:18 pm in reply to: Targeting: rough-edit-sequence in source monitorI’ll take a stab and say that as a nested sequence is generating a final virtual result…
meaning that….loaded into the source viewer you can cut with it only as result tracks: V1 and Audio 1&2.
(as those are likely the only source tags you will see on the timeline)I think I know what you are looking for as discreet edit* used to function in much the same way you describe. When loading a nested sequence into the source viewer you have the option of taking the resulting tracks or the source tracks and map them to whatever destination you wanted. very handy.
all that being said, there is a keyboard shortcut in PPro so that from the timeline containing a nested clip, you can open the source sequence and have the play head parked in sync with the ftg being used on the destination timeline. This would make it somewhat easier to copy and paste from source timeline to the destination timeline, but still not as easy as you are looking for.
Maybe I’m overlooking something, but I don’t think I am.
Todd?
Alex
-
Alex Udell
September 6, 2011 at 7:50 pm in reply to: Keep using a Matrox setting when Matrox is not hooked upMichael…
Would you mind contacting me privately?
audell999(at)yahoo(dot)com
Thanks…
Alex
-
Hi Chris,
I’ve set up and used PPro in a SAN environment, not Meta SAN, and not RED. But I’m not sure how either of those would factor into working in a SAN environment.
In the workflow we developed, we had producers who would off line on one set of stations and then we’d online in another set of stations.
So we had Project based volumes that we mounted on one machine or the other depending on who was working with it.We also had a library of common assets that we all hit on at the same time.
As far as PPro goes, there is no SAN specific technology.
PPro just cares about the path to get to media.
PPro, by itself, also has no “everybody edit inside the same Project file” technology, but it doesn’t sound like that’s what you after.But a read only Project (like a common asset Library project) could be imported as a unique instance into any other project in PPro. So a user could have unique access without screwing up work for other team members.
As far as READ ONLY type permissions to prevent media deletion, that’s likely a function of MetaSAN not PPro.
So let’s talk a bit more about what you are trying to accomplish and see if we can get you where you want to be.
Alex
-
Jon….
that was gr8 reply. Very insightful!
🙂
Alex
-
Alex Udell
September 1, 2011 at 10:02 pm in reply to: Unscrewing Myself From Premiere’s Replace with AE Comp Feature?Glad to help!
🙂
Alex
-
I haven’t tested it….But I don’t see a reason why it shouldn’t work….
Alex