Aindreas Gallagher
Forum Replies Created
-
Aindreas Gallagher
March 29, 2012 at 12:05 am in reply to: FCPX from an Editor who used it on Iditarod 2012[Craig Seeman] “”so the logic is that overall control of the operating system is impeding stable development of the application?”
“to be fair to you mate, I suppose I did put the sentence up with a question mark at the end.
The point, as it were, is that the question mark implies incredulity.
I do not believe the statement above is either credible or logical.
I myself tend to subscribe to Ubsdell’s Pant’s Down Theorem.
https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
Aindreas Gallagher
March 28, 2012 at 11:27 pm in reply to: FCPX from an Editor who used it on Iditarod 2012[Craig Seeman] ”
Unlike those FCPX probably has deeper ties to AVFoundation and things being developed in the OS as well so it may well be more limited by parallel development of things it needs.
“so the logic is that overall control of the operating system is impeding stable development of the application?
https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
Yoiks. I view you as somewhat of a barometer. God knows you really put your back into FCPX like Jim and the rest, as opposed to us carpers.
what do you actually think is likely to happen so at this point? I’m spending my time bigging up PPro like a madser lately, I’m basically fantasising that its going to be in near enough good shape at 6 to carry the non-avid ship forward (not that I have anything against Avid)
are you still primarily editing on 7?https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
Aindreas Gallagher
March 28, 2012 at 10:48 pm in reply to: FCPX from an Editor who used it on Iditarod 2012[Jim Giberti] “The speed of grading and unlimited secondaries built into each track.”
ayes to that, I genuinely do adore the power windows and secondary CC capabilities. For me its one of the whispers of the powerhouse system we dreamed of. I ride FCPX an awful lot on fresh Applestore hardware, and the ability to re-light HD shots in realtime with multiple CC masks, vignettes, and defocus is just an utter blast.
It’s one piece of the FCPX architecture that instantly delighted me. As an integrated, in context always on attribute – it feels quite transformative.
https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
Aindreas Gallagher
March 27, 2012 at 10:24 pm in reply to: on the PPro product manager popping his head around the door to give a heads up.it’s no comment of the year mind you.
https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
Aindreas Gallagher
March 27, 2012 at 9:51 pm in reply to: on the PPro product manager popping his head around the door to give a heads up.I hear your pain.
https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
Aindreas Gallagher
March 27, 2012 at 9:26 pm in reply to: on the PPro product manager popping his head around the door to give a heads up.of course, I’m totally agreeing with you here – me is the mograph-ish guy.
I wouldn’t know real compositing from a hole in the ground – when I quoted Dan, its on a topic I take his word on!
https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
Aindreas Gallagher
March 27, 2012 at 6:06 pm in reply to: Illustrator turns 25 today. Thoughts on it, Luddites and FCP Xyeah, I found parts of that argument very straw man-ish, and a wee bit irritating.
https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
Aindreas Gallagher
March 27, 2012 at 12:29 am in reply to: on the PPro product manager popping his head around the door to give a heads up.Mate: Apple went so crazily far with their zero day editing policy that their motivations almost don’t matter at this point.
[Alan Okey] “why should they have cared what the old dogs thought? They were more interested in starting from a blank slate, not in catering to old habits and traditions just for the sake of making things more comfortable for some stodgy old pros who work in the isolated bubble of a tiny niche market.”
the old dogs, if we’re going to start saying stuff like that, were, and say are, on avid. They’re eating cake right now.
We were Apple’s dogs, I for one was their dog; younger mixed mongrels coming into editing from the turn of the century who grew deeply attached to a truly open, professional blank slate: a non modal editing environment that could handle all media and sit on open hardware. And it was bloody easy to learn.
given the ridiculous contortions involved in Ubillos’s reduced use case methodolgy in FCPX, I find the notion that FCP was failing through complexity or outmoded conceits pretty hard to listen to.Realistically, editing is a verb – it has to encompass amazingly broad applications. FCP did that fantastically well.
The critics of FCPX are not the stodgy fuddy duddy’s, or the luddites: they comprise near precisely the entire body of creative editing raised on FCP.
https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
Aindreas Gallagher
March 26, 2012 at 11:46 pm in reply to: on the PPro product manager popping his head around the door to give a heads up.yes,
but we now know that meetings very much like you describe took place with say – oscar winning FCP based editors pre-FCPX launch, apple actually presented to some of them, and that Jordan and many other primary beta testers sent Apple sheaf pages of feedback (jordan’s words) on mission critical failures like ganging clips, eyelines matching via source, closed island then, radical simplistic departure etc – I’m not saying those features are the be all and end all, but it is notable that jordan and others – including the oscar guy – (failed to google find his interview, it might have been on variety or something – in the interview he referenced his three view setup of source, selects, and monitor, said apple were very nice tho?) – the point is that all of their feedback came to near naught.
Apple just went off and did exactly what they felt like. Critical feedback came to absolutely nothing. For a creative livelihood industry mainstay.
Apple may have been having deep throat conversations with lots of people: but in the end, they just decided to release this thing FCPX.
And this thing FCPX, in terms of getting paid cash to walk in and edit on it, is a goldfish in the sahara.
https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net