Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy › XDCAM HD422 footage and no codec !!

  • XDCAM HD422 footage and no codec !!

    Posted by Peter Somers on June 3, 2009 at 12:27 pm

    Hello,

    Just received a harddisk with about 240 MOV files from a client who were all encoded in XDCAM HD422 (Sony camera).
    I’m on FCP 5.1.4.
    Yes, you guessed it: I can’t view these files in QT, nor in FCP.
    When I open them in QT, I can hear the audio, but no image.
    I’ve dowloaded and installed the Sony XDCAM software, but that one keeps telling me there are 3 codecs missing (the XDCAM/XDCAMHD and MXF).

    Is there any solution so that I can use/view/edit these files, without having to buy the FCP2 upgrade?
    Any (official) sites where I can find a codec to view them?
    After reading up on XDCAM file formats, they seem to be based on MPEG2. Would buying the Apple MPEG2 component for QT allow me to view them?

    Thanks!

    Peter Somers

    Peter Somers replied 17 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Gary Adcock

    June 3, 2009 at 2:34 pm

    [Peter Somers] “I’m on FCP 5.1.4.
    I’ve dowloaded and installed the Sony XDCAM software, but that one keeps telling me there are 3 codecs missing (the XDCAM/XDCAMHD and MXF). Is there any solution so that I can use/view/edit these files, without having to buy the FCP2 upgrade? “

    the short answer NO
    yes there are work arounds
    the main one is to convert the files to a different format on a newer computer.

    the bigger question is ” if you are charging for your services- why have you not upgraded your 2005 version of FCP by 2009? Current Cameras need current software tools.

    gary adcock
    Studio37
    HD & Film Consultation
    Post and Production Workflows

    Check out
    https://www.aja.com/kiprotour/

    Inside look at the IoHD
    https://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

  • Peter Somers

    June 3, 2009 at 3:37 pm

    You’re absolutely right, and after reading up some more online on the topic, and also calculating the prices for conversion by external companies, the choice was very clear.

    I’m moving to FC Studio 2.

    Thanks for your advice!

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy