Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Maxon Cinema 4D › Wrapped Text + 0% Visibility = Rendering Problems

  • Wrapped Text + 0% Visibility = Rendering Problems

    Posted by Diane Koro on October 17, 2011 at 12:18 am

    I’ve posted this across several forums but nobody seems to know what’s going on here…I’ve got text wrapped around a sphere, which I want to fade into my scene, but instead both are showing up where they are set at 0% visibility. Here’s a render of the first frame of the animation (again, visibility for the sphere and wrapping is 0% at this frame so why are they both showing up?):

    The only suggestion I’ve received was that my version of C4D was old at 10 but I just downloaded the demo of r13 and took this screenshot with it, so version is not the problem.

    I’ve played around with everything (made the extrude on the wrapped text editable, turned off all the lights)…nothing seems to work.

    Any ideas?
    thx

    Brian Jones replied 14 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Diane Koro

    October 17, 2011 at 1:40 am

    Ooops, I typed the above a bit fast, the image is actually the first frame after the frame with visibility at 0%. In addition to the transparency, note how screwey the text on the sphere looks (the letters are ITEC)…I can upload the file if needed.

  • Brian Jones

    October 17, 2011 at 3:52 am

    the file would definitely help, thanks

  • Diane Koro

    October 17, 2011 at 3:24 pm

    Well I uploaded it some time ago but the mods still haven’t gotten to approving it yet…in the meantime (and assuming this post will tak just as long to show up) I’ve determined that its the combination of the transparent sphere and the transparent wrapped text where the problem arises…

    I increased the size of the wrapping, here’s how its looking:

    …but here’s the scene without the sphere (looks fine)…

    …and the sphere with the underlying text (problem comes back)…

    I tried increasing the ray depth setting but that didn’t help.

    Any thoughts on a workaround?

  • Brian Jones

    October 17, 2011 at 8:20 pm

    if you uploaded the file here you need to copy the link that’s given at the end of the process and paste it back into the message you are creating.

  • Diane Koro

    October 18, 2011 at 1:02 pm

    hmmmm, pretty sure I did that — twice — but let’s see if third time’s a charm…

    3094_renderproblems.c4d.zip

    Technically I think my issue is resolved as one of the random things I tried was adding a compositing tag to the sphere and unchecking “seen by transparency,” that seems to have fixed it, although I don’t understand the mechanics of that…

    I’ve also learned that using the “display -> visibility%” tag was causing lots of problems so I’m in the process of replacing that with just animating the materials, which begs the question, when exactly do you use the display tag?

  • Brian Jones

    October 19, 2011 at 2:29 am

    visibility works mostly like alpha but it’s usually most useful if you have to make objects just ‘pop’ in over one frame or if you have a group of objects in a null or maybe one object with more than one texture on it. They can all fade in or out with a minimum of work

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy