Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Adobe Premiere Pro › Workflow for 23.98 Source to 29.97i for Broadcast

  • Workflow for 23.98 Source to 29.97i for Broadcast

    Posted by Eve Brue on May 22, 2017 at 7:12 pm

    Hello!

    First post here and would to know people’s preferred workflow for 23.98 footage going to 29.97i broadcast (when working in Premiere.)

    Do you prefer to A) cut native and convert at the end? OR B) edit in 29.97 DF from the start?

    And if so why?

    I’ve been doing an informal survey among editor friends (it seems like either if possible) but would love to better understand pros and cons of each option.

    I’m inclined to edit in 29.97 DF and then choose upper on my export (upper in the sequence settings seems to create interlacing issues) but I’m wondering if having Premiere do the pulldown in my sequence is the best option for quality.

    Eve Brue replied 9 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Eve Brue

    May 22, 2017 at 9:01 pm

    I do! ????
    (Specs are for 29.97 and specify not to send 59.94. )

    So you think export the same as source master and then bring into media encoder to create the 29.97 version?

    Thanks!!

  • Shane Ross

    May 22, 2017 at 9:15 pm

    Edit 23.98, and export a 23.98 master, and then make a 59.94i master from that.

    NOTE!!! 23.98 is drop frame timecode only, so if you have a specific target timecode to get to at 29.97, then you need to calculate that…calculate what you need to edit 23.98 to for it to convert to the right time at 29.97. Avid has a simple timecode viewer tool for this, not sure Premiere has the same thing….I can’t see it.

    Shane
    Little Frog Post
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

  • Eve Brue

    May 22, 2017 at 11:19 pm

    @Dave good point!

    @Shane, thank you! It’s been forever since I’ve cut in Avid so I’m not too familiar with that workflow. From what I understand about Premiere, most editors either do the pulldown in Premiere itself or use Encoder or Compressor…

  • Eve Brue

    May 25, 2017 at 12:59 pm

    Hi

    One more question (I can see there is an error in logic in my first post in sequence setting) but for

    ” Edit 23.98, and export a 23.98 master, and then make a 59.94i master from that.”

    What do I do when it says don’t send 59.94 in the specs?

    Thanks!!

  • Eve Brue

    May 25, 2017 at 3:04 pm

    Ok! I think I understand, thank you!

    The specs don’t actually say Interlace but I’m just kind of assuming it’s interlace for broadcast (but maybe I shouldn’t assume?)

    I pasted the specs below though they also said I can deliver ProRes422 29.97i (which looks bad on my computer monitor but I’m hoping is okay in my broadcast monitor. Which I’m currently trying to hook up, haha. Freelancing so this isn’t my station.)

    Video:
    Quicktime MOV
    Codec: AVID DNXHD 145 or 220 MXF
    Size: 1920 x 1080
    Frame Rate: 29.97 (please do not send 59.94, it will be automatically rejected by Knoxville)

    MXF OP1A
    Codec: XDCAM50
    Size: 1920 x 1080
    Frame Rate 29.97 please do not send 59.94, it will be automatically rejected by Knoxville)

    Audio:
    Stereo Mix
    Format: Linear PCM
    Sample Rate: 48kHz
    Sample Size: 24 bit, Little Endian

  • Shane Ross

    May 25, 2017 at 4:51 pm

    You need to clarify with them…do they want 30FPS…29.97 interlaced. If so, then 59.94i is the proper technical term for it. No one uses 29.97i except perhaps AJA in their settings for FCP 7. The proper name is 59.94i…as the number refers to how many IMAGES per second. Interlaced is two images per frame…30fps…thus 60 images.

    Or do they want 29.97p…30p…PROGRESSIVE.

    What they have in the above specs doesn’t specify interlaced or progressive…

    Shane
    Little Frog Post
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

  • Eve Brue

    May 25, 2017 at 7:56 pm

    Thank you guys both so much – So helpful to have your input when I was under deadline!

    (I ended up sending them a Pro Res 422 29.97 Upper and so far so good!)

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy