Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe After Effects With two compositions windows open, is there a way to hotkey preview main comp?

• With two compositions windows open, is there a way to hotkey preview main comp?

Ralph Moreau updated 3 weeks ago 4 Members · 9 Posts
  • Ralph Moreau

September 1, 2021 at 2:38 pm

So love using two compositions, but it’s tedious to have to keep going back to main comp timeline, clicking on it, then hitting preview. Is there a way to edit other comps, but always preview from main comp?

• Eric Santiago

September 1, 2021 at 2:52 pm

Not sure about the PREVIEW part.

To keep the one panel open at all times I use the “LOCK” option on the one that I want to keep.

Now for this to work you need to UNDOCK the main COMP then select lock on the title (top left of panel).

Then open another comp and UNDOCK that.
    It’s a pain but works well with Dual windows.
    Best in 4K displays.

• Ralph Moreau

September 1, 2021 at 3:25 pm

Thank you Eric. Yes I use the lock workflow as well. But you still need to click in and out of your locked comp. 😢 I’m just looking for a way to not to have to touch anything and always preview a locked comp.

• Eric Santiago

September 1, 2021 at 4:08 pm

Yea that’s a tough one.

The Preview panel would have to have it’s on Pref settings.

• Walter Soyka

September 2, 2021 at 1:48 am

Click the hamburger menu on the locked comp viewer, then enable “Always preview this view.”

• Ralph Moreau

September 2, 2021 at 5:44 am

Very nice. After effects is like this large spaceship with hidden nuances. Thank you Walter! But I wanted to ask if you would know why this option may not be showing in my viewer?

• Ralph Moreau

September 2, 2021 at 1:41 pm

Figured it out – of coarse you need to have the latest update.

• Graham Quince

September 4, 2021 at 11:19 am

I worry about your spaceship analogy. Specifically what that means when After Effects crashes 🤣

• Ralph Moreau

September 4, 2021 at 5:56 pm

It’s hard to pilot this thing sometimes

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy