Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity Forums Adobe Media Encoder Why is AME SO much faster if I export 1 video at a time?!

• Why is AME SO much faster if I export 1 video at a time?!

Posted by Nick Ryan on September 10, 2020 at 11:03 pm

This has me stumped! If I queue to Media Encoder from Premiere, and set Media Encoder to use GPU acceleration, and only export 1 video at a time, it FLIES! (exporting to h.264)

If I do the exact same scenario, but export 2 different h.264 variants from the same Premiere timeline at the same time, the GPU will not be used at all, and the total export time is far greater than the two singles put together. What gives?

Windows 10, Latest CC, 4Ghz quad-core, 16 GB Ram, Radeon Vega 56

Andy Ford replied 3 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Andy Ford

September 23, 2020 at 4:05 am

I’d have to do some testing to see why this strange occurrence happens, but it is worth mentioning that the GPU typically only provides help in certain areas while compressing video. The GPU can help with some effects (with the accelerated icon), scaling your sequence to a different size/frame rate/interlacing on export, blending modes… things like that. The CPU is what is mostly used for video compression, regardless of if you check GPU acceleration or not. I believe the newer versions of AME allow the GPU to have some effect on quickening an h.264 export, but still that is working in tandem with the CPU.

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy