Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Adobe After Effects › Why do my 3D layers get repositioned when I add a camera?

  • Why do my 3D layers get repositioned when I add a camera?

    Posted by Brooke Glaser on July 16, 2012 at 4:04 am

    So perhaps I’ve got a bad workflow going on here, but I’ve been animated my layers without a camera for half of my composition. Then I decide to add a camera to zoom in to an object and my layer (which I had made 3D previous to adding the camera) gets repositioned. Can anyone give me an explanation for this? Or suggest a good way of ‘reposition’ my 3D layer so it is viewed correctly by my camera?

    Brooke Glaser replied 14 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Darby Edelen

    July 16, 2012 at 2:29 pm

    You can think of AE as using a “Default” camera in your composition even when you don’t have a camera layer. My suggestion would be to try and match this default camera with your camera layer.

    Select the camera and press cmd-shift-y (mac) or ctrl-shift-y (pc) to get to the detailed camera properties. Just under the “Name” on the upper right side there should be a “Preset” dropdown. Select “50mm” from that menu (this matches the default AE camera). Press OK in this dialog.

    Now in your composition you just need to make sure that the position of your camera is at the default, to do that twirl your camera properties open on the timeline and hit “Reset” just to the right of the “Transform” properties group.

    That should do it.

    Darby Edelen

  • Brooke Glaser

    July 16, 2012 at 9:32 pm

    Brilliant Darby! Changing to the wider angle lens worked like magic. Thanks!!

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy