Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe Premiere Pro Why are audio time units a full two seconds off from 23.976fps Timecode?

• Why are audio time units a full two seconds off from 23.976fps Timecode?

Matt Lyon updated 3 weeks, 5 days ago 3 Members · 3 Posts
  • Sean McNally

September 25, 2021 at 2:21 am

Recently disovered the “Show Audio Time Units” function. I thought this was just meant to display milliseconds or samples rather than frames, but it’s looking like it’s counting my timeline differently altogether.

With it toggled off, my sequence is 00:44:02:02 long. With it on, it’s 00:44:04.725…so what accounts for this difference? Shouldn’t they be showing the same amount of time in terms of minutes and seconds? Just to rule out a silly thought, I checked, and yes, my audio and video both end at the same time on this sequence.

• Rowdy Wiegmans

September 25, 2021 at 6:28 am

Hi Sean, I honestly don’t know what accounts for the time difference. You could do a check by exporting one and the other and see if there still is a difference.

The usefulness of this feature comes when your mic’s are slightly out of fase or when you need the cut in your music to line up perfectly. Go into the millisecond feature to allign and out to lock it to the fps.

Hope it helps,

Rowdy

• Matt Lyon

September 26, 2021 at 9:15 pm

You are seeing a difference because 23.976 isn’t true “clock time.” When you switch to the “audio time units” display, Premiere is now showing you the true “clock time” of your sequence.

Think of it as the the same principle as 29.97 non-drop frame timecode vs 29.97 drop frame. Unfortunately there is no 23.98 drop-frame timecode equivalent. I like to use http://www.bodenzord.com/timecode-converter to calculate the true sequence run time of my 23.98 timelines.

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy