Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Panasonic Cameras › Vericam 25 fps to film blowup workflow ???

  • Vericam 25 fps to film blowup workflow ???

    Posted by Viewedit on January 7, 2007 at 5:30 pm

    I am sorry, i guess its a repeated question, but i searched this place i couldn’t find the answer, so i ask the experts.. I want to shoot in vericam 25 as its in pal, then i need to blow it up to 35mm. but i read on nets about aspect ratios and other things about sharpness , which is confusing me a lot. i just need to know in a layman’s term.
    Q. what is the best setting to choose when shooting in vericam for 35 mm blowup. I plan to edit it myself in Final cut studio (Macbook Pro 15″ 2 gb ram). I want the result to be as great as possible when its on 35mm, will do a DI too.
    I dont want to undergo lot of conversion process. what i need is camera footage goes to post pro studio, where its loaded in to a hardisk, it comes to me, and i edit it natively on my Macbook pro, on native timeline, once i finish my stuff i give it to post pro to upgrade the footage for D.I. Now how do i achieve this very simple work flow and what are the various process involved before it comes to me in a hardisk from post pro, (Reminder this for a 35 mm blowup, has to be as close as actual 35mm).

    Live life king size

    Alister Robbie replied 19 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Gary Adcock

    January 8, 2007 at 3:46 pm

    First
    You never want to use any compressed footage with a film out. – Fine to edit with but you really need to work uncompressed for the best results. ( I am assuming you work in 25p Land so I will not comment about 24fps. vs 25 fps.

    Second.
    you need to talk to your post house. The progressive footage from the Varicam looks great when blown up to the big screen- but there are a number of steps in between that need to be handled in very certain ways.
    ( Like Sound!!!)

    Match the TC religiously or it can cost you a fortune in post.
    Use the best glass you can get for the camera- this is the largest problem I see, when people do not use the best glass they do not get the best output from the camera.

    gary adcock
    Studio37
    HD & Film Consultation
    Post and Production Workflows

  • Alister Robbie

    January 8, 2007 at 11:07 pm

    Hi View,

    Go to the BlackMagic Design website https://www.blackmagic-design.com and download the drivers for their card. That will give you the set-ups and allow you to edit all of the native uncompressed footage on your MacBook. Once you have the BMD drivers, use the “BlackMagic HDTV Varicam 720p25 10bit” Easy Setup. Make sure you go 10 bit, as this

    Fast hard drives will be key here, as the data rate for uncompressed 720p25 is around the 100MB/s mark, and the footage will take up a lot of space. eg. I used just over a Terabyte yesterday capturing 13 camera tapes.

    My concern would be getting a RAID that would be fast enough and big enough to hang off your MacBook. There are some interesting external SATA and FireWire 800 units that might do the trick.

    If you can’t get hard drives fast enough to run off your MacBook, then the second option would be to get your post house to create an offline version of the project (compressed) which you can cut on your MacBook, then conform from the original uncompressed media when done. This process does not involve recapturing, just relinking.

    I have been through a similar process before for a feature that was printed to film, although with that project, we started with the native DVCPRO files captured via FireWire. That was possible because it was shot in 24fps, but with 25fps there is no FireWire option.

    Cheers,

    Al

    I am running a :
    – 17″ MacBook Pro with FCS & Shake
    – Mac Pro Quad 3ghz with BMD Decklink HD, XServe RAID & Panny 1200A deck
    and I use the BlackMagic setups & codec on both machines to allow me complete interoperability of projects, footage & everything else.

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy