Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › VEGAS Pro › Vegas 12: CPU or (!) GPU or both? [OPEN]

  • Vegas 12: CPU or (!) GPU or both? [OPEN]

    Posted by Gaston Aragon on August 26, 2013 at 12:37 pm

    Hello all together. I’m just configurate my new PC for Vegas 12 and have a problem after a few days. Question was, should I put another 250€ for the next bigger CPU/GPU (In my case the questions are i5 3,5Ghz or i7 3,5GHz as well as GTX660 or GTX770)?

    But after some time I began to ask me something and I couldn’t find an answer to my question. Normally I read threads like “Vegas 12: render with CPU or GPU?” and the question what would be better. But I ask:

    If I have a fast GPU, do I need a topnotch CPU nevertheless? And in reverse of course: If I have a fast CPU, would I need also a fast GPU?

    I can’t find an answer to my question and I hope somebody with experience can tell me. I would be thankful. =)

    Greets, Gaston

    additional question: Do I have an advantage in Vegas if I have a CPU with Hyperthreading?

    John Rofrano replied 13 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • John Rofrano

    August 27, 2013 at 11:44 am

    [Gaston Aragon] “If I have a fast GPU, do I need a topnotch CPU nevertheless? And in reverse of course: If I have a fast CPU, would I need also a fast GPU?”

    Let me take them one at a time:

    [Gaston Aragon] “If I have a fast GPU, do I need a topnotch CPU nevertheless?”

    I fast GPU will provide minimal value because everything is not GPU accelerated. So while a fast GPU will help for the things that are GPU accelerated, it will do nothing for things that are not so YES, you still need a fast CPU even if you have a fast GPU.

    [Gaston Aragon] “And in reverse of course: If I have a fast CPU, would I need also a fast GPU?”

    If you have a fast CPU you do not need a fast GPU. Sometimes the CPU is faster even at tasks that are GPU accelerated.

    So the bottom line: Put your money it no the best CPU you can afford and don’t worry about having a fast GPU. Vegas Pro “requires” a Core i7 for HD work so don’t get anything less if you are working in HD.

    ~jr

    http://www.johnrofrano.com
    http://www.vasst.com

  • Gaston Aragon

    August 27, 2013 at 4:41 pm

    Hi John.

    I thank you… VERY much for this explanation! I don’t know what to say anymore. This statement was something I searched with google about 2 hours or so. Now I can order the i7 and GTX660 with a good feeling.

    Many thanks again. I really appreciate your help.
    Have a nice day.

    Greets, Gaston

  • John Rofrano

    August 27, 2013 at 11:46 pm

    You’re welcome. Glad I could help.

    ~jr

    http://www.johnrofrano.com
    http://www.vasst.com

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy