Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Apple Final Cut Pro X Transcoding hours of MP4 ( H264 ) footage from gopro to be cut in FCP7 without ProRes?

• Transcoding hours of MP4 ( H264 ) footage from gopro to be cut in FCP7 without ProRes?

• Johnny Smith

January 7, 2020 at 1:26 am

I got a few hours of gopro footage, a Mac Pro running 10.6.8 and FCP7. Rendering time for an hour of footage into ProRes 422 LT is 1 week +. Just brutal. Can’t cut h264 footage as is FCP7 can’t handle it. Is there an easier/faster solution?!

I also have a new macbook pro with Sierra 10.12.6 with Handbreak on it but no FCP or Compressor on that machine.

What’s the best workflow for me?
    Thank you thank you!

• Doug Metz

January 7, 2020 at 11:04 pm

The MacBook Pro has a hardware decoder for H.264, so you’ll definitely want to use the laptop… for this kind of transcoding, have a look at EditReady:

https://www.divergentmedia.com/editready

For the same money, you could also opt for Compressor.

Doug Metz

Dalton Agency

• Johnny Smith

January 9, 2020 at 6:22 am

It’s not letting me buy Compressor on my Macbook Pro. ( I have an older compressor on Mac Pro that takes 8 hours to convert H264 to ProRes for every 8 min clip ).

Error: Compressor can’t be installed on “Macintosh HD” because macOS version 10.14.6 or later is required.

A screenshot of my Macbook is attached.

• Doug Metz

January 9, 2020 at 7:49 pm

I’m not sure how far you want to go, but upgrading to Mojave (10.14) would get you around that error, and you’d still retain 32-bit app functionality.

Alternatively, EditReady is definitely worth the money if you don’t want to upgrade your OS just yet… but if you’re willing to try something a bit more fiddly, you should also have a look at ff•Works: https://www.ffworks.net

Doug Metz

Dalton Agency

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy