Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe After Effects Expressions Text box with 2 separate text layers adapting to each other

• Text box with 2 separate text layers adapting to each other

• Sandro Maia

September 20, 2022 at 6:41 pm

Hello everyone.

I would like to know if it’s possible to have 2 separate text layers side by side inside a shape, with the shape adapting in size to both texts and both texts adapting to each other. I know how to make it with a single text layer but i cant warp my head around with 2 text layers.

Something like in the image and i really need it to be 2 separate text layers

• Filip Vandueren

September 21, 2022 at 8:09 am

I get how the shape can adapt, but how do the two texts adapt to each other? Just position wise ?

• Filip Vandueren

September 21, 2022 at 8:31 am

If all you need is the smaller text to move to the right if the name gets longer, then parent it to the first text, and give the position this expression:

margin=60;
    sr=parent.sourceRectAtTime();
    [sr.left+sr.width+margin,0];

As for the shape layer:

add a shape layer, give it a path, give the path this expression:

margin = 60;
    t1=thisComp.layer("John");
    s1=t1.sourceRectAtTime();
    t2=thisComp.layer("• This text layer adapts");
    s2=t2.sourceRectAtTime();
    l = t1.toComp([s1.left, s1.top])[0] - margin;
    r = t2.toComp([s2.left+s2.width, s1.top])[0] + margin;
    t = Math.min(t1.toComp([s1.left, s1.top])[1], t2.toComp([s2.left+s2.width, s2.top])[1]) - margin;
    b = Math.max(t1.toComp([s1.left, s1.top+s1.height])[1], t2.toComp([s2.left+s2.width, s2.top+s2.height])[1]) + margin;
    createPath( [fromComp([l,t]), fromComp([r,t]), fromComp([r,b]), fromComp([l,b])], [],[], true);

add a Fill and a Round Corners modifier.

• Sandro Maia

September 21, 2022 at 9:57 am

Hi Filip, this worked perfectly. Is there also a way to keep everything centred to the composition when you type on the second text? Typing on the first text everything is aligned to the centre, but when i type on the second text the shape only expands to the right and doesn’t centre.

Thank you so much for your help! Appreciated.

• Sandro Maia

September 21, 2022 at 11:26 am

After trying around i’ve managed to do it with this simple expression applied to the “x” position of “John” layer.

Now everything is centred all the time.

transform.xPosition - (thisComp.layer("• This text layer adapts").sourceRectAtTime().width/2)

• Filip Vandueren

September 22, 2022 at 8:23 am

Sorry, forgot to get back to you.

Note that if you’ve added a margin between the layers as I did in my example, you’ll also want to add half of that margin

• Sandro Maia

September 22, 2022 at 8:26 am

Yeah you’re right!

Thanks Filip!

• John Collucci

September 24, 2022 at 12:02 am

Hi Sandro & Filip, I’m in awe of these posts.

I’ve been using AE for nearly 20 years, and I use pre-saved scripts for certain common tasks, but have no real depth to how to code them myself. I feel that so much untapped capability exists for most of us.

Do you recommend any resources to actually learn the language & syntax to solve one’s own problems without relying on internet searches (& hoping someone else can help)?

• Filip Vandueren

September 24, 2022 at 9:38 am
Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy