Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy Studio 2 HDV workflow

• Studio 2 HDV workflow

• Chris Poisson

May 21, 2007 at 10:39 pm

Let me get this straight, I can ingest HDV via Firewire and render it out in the ProRez codec, or would I have to ingest to Pro Rez first? Exactly what would be the best workflow, including a camera that has HDMI out, which I assume would be best used with the Convergent Design HDMI to SDI box, as I have a Kona LH but not an Intel Mac (for use with Intensity)?

Sorry, but I’m confused.

• 13 Create COW Profile Image

May 21, 2007 at 11:07 pm

To ingest using Pro Res 422 you will need the AJA IOHD.

• Jerry Hofmann

May 21, 2007 at 11:07 pm

You ingest native HDV, then you use Compressor 3 or Media Manager to transcode it all to Pro Res… OR you get thee to an Io HD, and just capture it AS Pro Res down the ol FW 800 cable.

Capture cards will allow you to capture directly to pro res too, but they will depend on the CPU being able to keep up with the compression/decompression for monitoring the signal… probably will take a fastish mac to do this. The Io doesn’t rely on nada… it’s all on board, and historically, all hardware compressions are superior to software compressions… can’t quite do a side by side yet around here, but I’ll be sure to report back when I do.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: “Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4” Click here

Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D

• Chris Poisson

May 21, 2007 at 11:21 pm

And why would it not work with a Kona LH and an HDMI to SDI converter?

May 21, 2007 at 11:29 pm

The IOHD has a built in hardware ProRes 422 encoder the Kona LH douse not.

• Chris Poisson

May 21, 2007 at 11:32 pm

Gotchya, thanks.

• Gary Alan

May 21, 2007 at 11:45 pm

It is understood that the AJA I/O HD has the “hardware” for the Apple prores codec. I think that Chris is asking (if I am wrong, then I am asking) does the AJA LH provide the ability to use the prores codec as a capture preset just like it now offers DVCproHD as a choice. Or is it a case that the AJA LH employs “hardware” for us to now capture DVCproHD from HDV where I am thinking it was just a software driver conversion?

Gary

• Jerry Hofmann

May 21, 2007 at 11:49 pm

Yes, it will as long as your CPU can keep up with the compression to pro res as you capture. the LH card will send uncompressed to the CPU and you set the capture preset to pro res would be my guess on how the setup goes. But again, the CPU wil have to be fast enough to do the compression. No where has Apple posted a minimum for this, so right now I think it’s a who knows sitution. But in and of itself, the answer is yes. I thought I’d made this point in the post above.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

May 21, 2007 at 11:54 pm

I am just curious as to where you heard this, perhaps I missed something but everything I have read leads me do believe that you need a hardware encoder to capture in prores 422. I have not seen anything that says that you can capture prores 422 by letting your computer do the work during capture.

• Jerry Hofmann

May 22, 2007 at 12:03 am

I was the demo artist at NAB on the Io HD. The AJA folk made it very clear that AJA’s Kona 2, Kona 3 and the LH will support the ingest of HD THEREFORE it’s up to the CPU to do the compression/decompression in that scenario. I’ve been guessing that it will take a pretty fast CPU to do this without dropping frames. Might be wrong… and Apple’s specs would then leave me to believe it will work on any mac given an uncompressed HD signal… I just have a hard time believing it till I see it is all…

That said, it’s not unprecendented.. you can capture offlineRT for example in real time from a DV source… it’s compression/decompression is happening in the CPU…

The software archetecture is there according to AJA.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Viewing 1 - 10 of 35 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy