Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy › Storage for Panasonic HVX 200

  • Storage for Panasonic HVX 200

    Posted by British Idiot on September 9, 2006 at 8:11 pm

    Hi I wonder if anyone can help…

    I’m new to both Final Cut and HD and am about to buy a system for editing but am unsure about how much storage (hard drive) I’ll need?

    I think the camera records HD in 100Mbps…so does this mean that when the footage is ingested into Final Cut Pro I’ll need storage at a rate of 100MB a second?

    So for an hour’s footage I’ll need 360,000MB? What is that in GB? 360GB?

    I’m looking at a lot of storage on taht basis.

    Can anyone suggest the best way? Using external hard drives of 1TB isn’t going to work on that basis is it?

    I’m confused, thanks for any help.

    Shane Ross replied 20 years ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Shane Ross

    September 9, 2006 at 10:03 pm

    100 mega BITs per second, not megaBYTES. You can use Firewire 800 drives for this footage…firewire 400 if you shoot 720p24 at 24pn.

    At full resolution DVCPRO HD 720p60 at 59.94 takes up 53GB/hour. At 720p24 23.98 it is about 22MB/hour. So it really isn’t a space hog, and editing at full resolution is a snap. Read my blog about my experiences with the DVCPRO HD codec and working with P2 footage from the HVX-200 cameras:

    lfhd.blogspot.com

    Shane

    Littlefrog Post
    http://www.lfhd.net

  • British Idiot

    September 10, 2006 at 12:14 pm

    Ok, that makes more sense, I always get confused by Mega BITS and mega BYTES!

    Thanks for your help, I’ll have a look over your blog to see what more I can learn.

    Would 1080 footage take up more space?

  • Shane Ross

    September 10, 2006 at 5:43 pm

    1080 will take up more space:

    42GB/hour

    Shane

    Littlefrog Post
    http://www.lfhd.net

  • British Idiot

    September 11, 2006 at 11:47 am

    OK, that makes sense. Thanks again for your help.

    I’ve used Avid at college but am setting out on the road of getting my own stuff together and unsure of a lot of the things that must’ve been going on behind the scenes at college that I was unaware of!

    Am I right in thinking that I can have the media for one project on a number of different drives and FCP will be able to find and use it on more than one drive simultaneously? So I’m not limited by having say one 500Gb firewire drive…if I have 2 firewire drives I can have media on each one?

    Sprry if this is all a bit basic…I’m sure I’ll pick it up

  • Shane Ross

    September 13, 2006 at 6:42 am

    [british idiot] “So I’m not limited by having say one 500Gb firewire drive…if I have 2 firewire drives I can have media on each one?”

    Correct. I have DVCPRO HD footage on 2 G-Raids and an internal SATA Raid.

    Shane

    Littlefrog Post
    http://www.lfhd.net

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy