Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums VEGAS Pro Starting with 16×9 then rendering in 2.39:1 without Black Bars? How?

• Starting with 16×9 then rendering in 2.39:1 without Black Bars? How?

Tripp Jackson updated 1 month ago 2 Members · 4 Posts
  • Tripp Jackson

July 18, 2022 at 8:05 pm

Hi.

I would like some input as I cannot seem to find any information related to my needs in video tutorials or online forums.

I have recently shot some footage (lots of A/B clips in two-camera situations) in 16×9 aspect ratio, but having used a new a monitor that lets me frame with guides in 2.39:1, I want to output my final render in that later format/ratio, removing the temporary Letterbox bars that I used to ensure all of my clips were exactly where I wanted them, in respect to my framing/composition.

Using two cameras while recording the same talking heads, I could only frame in 2.39:1 with one of my cameras that used the monitor (that has the framing guides), while I used a plastic layover guide on the LCD screen of my other camera, which wasn’t as exact as the monitors framing guides.

I have seen people using Premier Pro have the ability to do a crop over the entire timeline in their rendering stage, whereas I cannot find anything of a similar feature in Vegas Pro 15.

I have already done a test adjustment/crop on one of my clips within the crop tab of that clip to be the 2.39:1 aspect ratio and of course, if I render that out with the same dimensions for the 2.39:1 ratio, it works.

However, as you might understand – I don’t want to have to crop every last clip to then arrive at the final 2.39:1 ratio on my final render, if I don’t need to.

If I render out with 2.39.1 settings, I get black sidebars, as the entire timeline seems to be reduced to fit within the 2.39:1 framing, while keeping the Letterbox bars in place.

Side note: I also found many pro editors state that for a better render without affecting certain plugins like stabilization, they recommend a 1920×840 output, rather than 1920×839.

In my research for answers, some people have questioned other users like myself – as to why they didn’t set up their project properties timeline to just be the 2.39:1 before editing, but I feel they are missing the point as many other people responding had the same goal as myself: to have the flexibility to readjust framing with the Letterbox bars before final rendering.

Does anyone know of a rendering setting (or any other method) that would allow me to do a crop over all of the timeline clips during rendering, such as what I saw someone do with Premier Pro in a YT video (removing the black bars), for my Vegas Pro 15, or am I left with the laborious task of doing the aspect crop in each of my clips on my timeline before final render in 2.39:1?

Any input or suggestions to reach my goal would be appreciated.

For more understanding of my situation: Until I have two cameras that can shoot with the 2.39:1 guides overlaid for accurate framing, I want the ability to adjust things in editing with letterbox bars, but get the 2.39:1 ratio on my final output.

I am planning to upgrade to (2) Black Magic cameras that have the 2.39:1 built in, but in the meantime – I’m not buying another monitor to see the guides for my 2nd camera to be used, until I’m ready for the jump to get those new BM cameras.

Thanks in advance!

• Bruce Brent

July 19, 2022 at 1:50 pm

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+edit+2.39%3A1+in+vegas+pro&oq=how+to+edit+2.39%3A1+in+vegas+pro&aqs=chrome..69i57.7313j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_xrXWYr7HFoGZkPIP66KloAM23

• Tripp Jackson

July 19, 2022 at 10:56 pm

This I have already seen; which is something I noted in my post that I’ve already done and want to avoid (cropping to the 2.39:1 aspect ratio in each clip, individually).

This does not help, as it doesn’t pertain to what I posted as my need and goal.

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy