Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Storage & Archiving Setting up a qnap TVS-H1688x for video editing in high resolution

• Setting up a qnap TVS-H1688x for video editing in high resolution

Bob Zelin updated 6 days, 4 hours ago 2 Members · 4 Posts
  • Pedro Luz

February 17, 2021 at 8:15 am

Hi,

I bought a TVS-H1688x and ten HDD 16TB Seagate ironwolf pro and a m2 4tb sdd for cache

https://www.qnap.com/en/product/tvs-h1688x

I’m a creative professional creating and editing high resolution video sequences (up to 24k) from jpg or tiff 16 bits, that goes from 40MB up to 900 MB in size for each frame of video.

I’m not looking for anything real-time at these high resolutions, I just want a fast read/write with some degree of security built-in.

I’m using three workstations that will read/write to the nas during render times, or are doing different parts in the project in each workstation.

Questions:

a) Should I setup the HDD as a disk array 6 or a disk array 50 using the new quts hero zfs configuration?

I now that I lose two disks in either configuration, I really can’t find any final answer regarding read/write of really big files.

b) Should I use the tick or thin volume?

I just want to have a vast pool of space where I’m able to read/write as fast as the dual 10gbe connection from the NAS allows me.

Any feedback would be welcome

Thanks

Pedro luz

• Bob Zelin

February 17, 2021 at 7:28 pm

2 SSD’s for your RAID 1 operating system – Storage Pool 1 with 2 of the SSD’s.

forget the Caching

all 12 drives (yes – ALL 12 DRIVES) in a single raid group – RAID 6 thin provisioning as storage Pool 1 (max size).

Your 10G port goes to a 10G switch. You plug your 3 computers into that 10G switch with 10G adapters. All static IP addresses –

for example

QNAP 10G port – 192.168.2.3 255.255.255.0

10G switch – 192.168.2.10

Computer 1 – 192.168.2.11

computer 2 – 192.168.2.12

computer 3 – 192.168.2.13

all MTU 9000 – on the switch, the QNAP, all computers.

you will get over 800 MB/sec on all Win 10PC’s and Thundebolt 3 Mac computers.

[email protected]

• Pedro Luz

February 18, 2021 at 6:55 pm

Hi Bob,

Many thanks, to the usual suspect!

Over time I have learn a lot from your feedback in this and other places, until I decided to move into this direction.

Forgot to say all my machines are PC”S with the a qnap 10GBE cards aquantia chip.

The qnap is linked to the router using the two qnap 10gbe ports, allowing 20GBe connection to the router, and I can only have 10gbe connection to each client (I learned that from you).

Regarding the M2 SDD (4TB each SSD, in disk array 1 (security and redundancy I suppose)).

a) It’s the first time I hear that the main purpose of these m2 SSD is to store the OS, if I can ask, it’s much safer and faster, but if I can ask how fast is in comparing this to have the OS in the thin disk array 6?

I saw some videos, even in the qnap site with a tvs thunderbolt 8 bays HDD with two m2 SSD, and they were recomending to use it as a cache.

b) I’m asking about the difference between performance between disk array 6 and 50, because the local people are insisting I should use disk array 50 (they say is faster)

c) Assuming that at later date I will populate the four sata SSD, what I should do with them?

c1. expand the thin disk array 6 to incorporate the SSD to it?

c2. Create a new pool and use it as a disk cache? (R, W, RW ?)

d) finally and out of curiosity, this unit supports the 40gbe cards, if at later install a 40gbe card on the qnap, get a 40gbe router and 40gbe NIC on the clients, what I should or shouldn’t expect in terms of network performance?

again many thanks

pedro

• Bob Zelin

February 19, 2021 at 8:04 pm

Hi Pedro

a) QNAP specifically states in every description of any QuTS product to put the operating system on the SSD’s, not the disks. You can put them on the disks (I did this by accident the first time I built one), but it is the wrong thing to do. I guess you can put them on the internal M.2 drives, but if one of them fails, then you have to open up the QNAP to change it. If it’s in the SSD slots, you just pop out the defective SSD, and replace it.

b) I don’t know. with RAID 6, you get 1000 MB/sec. I don’t see the benefit of RAID 50. I did a RAID 60 on a QNAP TS-h2483XU-RP back in March, because I was using 16TB drives, and a normal QTS volume can’t be larger than 250 TB. I saw no performance benefit from doing a RAID 60. I cannot answer you on the RAID 50.

c) you can make the SSD’s into a separate volume

c2) I have no answer for you.

d) you will see no benefit with 40G using SATA drives. A 40G connection will give you 2200 MB/sec performance, and 12 SATA drives do not have the total aggregate bandwidth of 2200 MB/sec.

e) stop asking questions, and just hire me to set this up for you. It will work perfectly when we get done.

[email protected]

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy