Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Storage & Archiving › Restoring Archive with Bru without catalog files.

  • Restoring Archive with Bru without catalog files.

    Posted by Simon Jones on March 25, 2020 at 4:30 pm

    Hi there,
    I am trying to restore footage from a set of LTO tapes with Bru Pe, but do not have the catalog files. Is there a way to still get the footage off the LTO tapes without the catalogues? Any help would be really really appreciated.

    Some information about what I’m working with:
    Mac – High Sierra Version 10.13.6
    Bru Pe – 18.1.1
    Files were originally archived with Bru. All the files are inside one standalone tape.

    I can tell everything is connected up fine because when I run a Verify, I can see that the files are on there, and it verifies. It can “Identify Tapes” also.

    The Bru Import tool also also works with “Importing File”, which I can then see on the Restore function of Bru Pe. However there is “No Archive Catalog Found” when I click on the Tapeset. And The ability to Restore button is not clickable.

    I have seen that you can use terminal to get some stuff off, however I’ve not been able to manage it.

    Any help would be greatly received.

    Juan Ignacio cabrera replied 1 month, 1 week ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Tim Jones

    March 25, 2020 at 5:49 pm

    Hi Simon,

    Open a support ticket and the team will be happy to help. Also, the entire back section of the BRU PE User’s Guide is dedicated to command line operation.

    Also, after you’ve run an Import with the Tape Import Tool, please backup your BRU PE environment (/Library/Application Support/BRU PE) and attach the resulting backup to the ticket so that we can take a closer look at what failed.

    Tim
    —
    Tim Jones
    CTO – TOLIS Group, Inc.
    https://www.tolisgroup.com
    BRU … because it’s the RESTORE that matters!

  • Juan Ignacio cabrera

    August 20, 2026 at 11:25 pm

    Closing the loop on this one, since TOLIS went under in 2020, bought by OWC, and then fully deprecated by 2022… Missing catalog files is not fatal. Catalog data can be found on the tapes themselves and the restore index rebuilt from there.

    When the software died, and then our old machine died (with the only working software license), we decided to build our way back in. Our system surveys the tapes, rebuilds the full catalog (even on spanned tapes), and restores all the files validating every single one of them. We were so happy, that we decided to offer did as a service for other people in a similar situation, and we went live a couple of days ago! You can check it out here: lightbenders.com/bru-restore

    The process: We survey your tapes, send you the catalog so you can decide what to restore (part or all), and we restore it to either your own RAID or create fresh LTO-8 LTFS tapes. Full process explained (including pricing) on the website. Let us know what you think!

  • Juan Ignacio cabrera

    August 21, 2026 at 3:34 am

    Sorry. I posted twice. Thought I was still editing 🙂

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy