Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums DaVinci Resolve Resolve Studio 17.4.1: cannot import tif frame sequences

• Resolve Studio 17.4.1: cannot import tif frame sequences

• Michael McCune

November 14, 2021 at 10:31 pm

First, used Resolve Studio for years, with dual Xeon & 48 GB ram, GTX 1070, perhaps 40 TBs storage plus 3-4 SSDs. So should be no problem, right?

First, Resolve 17.4.1 is much quicker to load (Hooray!). But, like 17.4, Resolve has serious (as in, totally dysfunctional, hangs, crashes every time) issues with importing tif frame sequences and sometimes even some other formatted file types, such as .mov. Loads .mxf normally.

Fusion Studio 17.4+ however has no issue with the same files. In fact it loads them almost instantly and seems to have no playback or performance issues at all.

Some of these same files were used without issue in previous Resolve versions.

In Resolve 17.4+ we tried the drag-and-drop import method, along with File menu Import method and Media tab Import method: all fail completely, as above, although sometimes Resolve will recognize them–after a looong delay–as many single frame images.

Usually Resolve fails with a permanent hang and an offer to quit the program.

Of course tried the usual simple fixes: restart the app, restart the PC, re-download, uninstall and reinstall.

No joy.

Didn’t see any BMD Resolve forum posts on this issue.

Any clues??? Glad to hear that it is something obvious I have overlooked.

Thanks, guy (and girls),

Mike

• Michael Gissing

November 15, 2021 at 5:55 am

Your problem seems to be atypical in my experience. The best way to sort this is to contact BM support directly and they will tell you how to send through a log file and system specs. Given the huge variability with computer hardware and OS issues these days this sounds like a fairly specific issue.

• Michael McCune

November 23, 2021 at 8:07 pm

Thanks, Michael. Actually, from the BMD Resolve Forum, someone points out that this is a feature, not a bug! That is, from the manual, p. 321, “Frame Display Mode,” it seems to speak to this. Here is the helpful reply.

TheBloke

Posts: 1679Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:49 pmReal Name: Tom Jobbins

Re: Resolve 17 fails to import TIF sequences—-and a fix

PostSat Nov 20, 2021 11:36 am

It’s not a bug that TIF doesn’t import as a sequence by default, it’s deliberate. The new Frame Display Mode “Auto” setting will automatically detect sequences from DPX, EXR and DNG files, but is specifically excluded from doing so with JPG, PNG and TIF. I don’t understand why they did it like this, but it’s definitely deliberate.

From the manual (p321):
    More info here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=149318#p798412

—Thanks all, Mike

• Michael Gissing

November 23, 2021 at 11:22 pm

Ah interesting new feature. I can see why as I mostly had to turn off the previous default to import stills. I can see why they have done that. I used to ask that editors didn’t give a number to jpegs so they didn’t look like image sequences. I hadn’t picked that up as a change in the latest software so thanks for that.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy