Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy › Project that contains 24p clips and 30p clips

  • Project that contains 24p clips and 30p clips

    Posted by Baljot Bhatti on April 18, 2011 at 10:43 pm

    So I’m making a short movie (fictional) about a crew of people who are trying to make a movie. I wanted to combine clips from the actual movie they are making – which would be 24p – and then the mockumentary part of it – which would be 30p – into one cohesive final project. I know enough about FCP that I can only output at one framerate, and that any 24p clips placed in my timeline would end up being converted to 30p (or the other way around).

    Is there either a way to work around this, or make it so the 24p clips wouldn’t be harshly degraded when they’re converted, or do I have to bite the bullet and just pick a framerate?

    Elijah Lynn replied 15 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Elijah Lynn

    April 23, 2011 at 12:11 am

    [Baljot Bhatti] “So I’m making a short movie (fictional) about a crew of people who are trying to make a movie. I wanted to combine clips from the actual movie they are making – which would be 24p – and then the mockumentary part of it – which would be 30p – into one cohesive final project. I know enough about FCP that I can only output at one framerate, and that any 24p clips placed in my timeline would end up being converted to 30p (or the other way around).

    Is there either a way to work around this, or make it so the 24p clips wouldn’t be harshly degraded when they’re converted, or do I have to bite the bullet and just pick a framerate?”

    ==============================

    Hi Baljot,

    This thread is relevant to what you are asking. From what I gather, you should pick a target framerate and set your sequence to that and then convert the non-target framerate to the target framerate via compressor and ProRes. You will save yourself some headache! It will cost you diskspace but I think it is worth it in my opinion. Maybe this won’t be necessary with FCP X but it is right now.

    https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1129698

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy