Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Adobe After Effects › Problem with 3D layers

  • Problem with 3D layers

    Posted by Tricia Belchere on February 1, 2012 at 1:11 pm

    Can anyone explain why, when I check the 3D layer box on one layer in a comp, all the other layers (above and below) become invisible? This problem is driving me mad as I can’t see what I’ve done. I’ve used 3D layers with no problem previously.

    Many thanks.

    Michael Szalapski replied 14 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Joseph W. bourke

    February 1, 2012 at 4:28 pm

    Is it possible that they’re all in the same position in Z space, so the 3D layer is blocking the others? Are the other layers 3D as well? What version of After Effects are you using?

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Tricia Belchere

    February 1, 2012 at 4:55 pm

    Hi Joe, thanks for responding. Not all the layers are 3D and I’m using CS5.5.

  • Michael Szalapski

    February 1, 2012 at 5:28 pm

    Screenshots of your timeline and comp window might be useful.

    – The Great Szalam
    (The ‘Great’ stands for ‘Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble’)

    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

  • Darby Edelen

    February 1, 2012 at 7:05 pm

    Make sure that your Composition Viewer is set to “Active Camera” and not “Custom View” or “Front” or one of the other alternate viewing angles.

    Darby Edelen

  • Tricia Belchere

    February 1, 2012 at 8:51 pm

    Yep, the view is definitely Active Camera.

    Will do a screen shot and post it

    Thanks for your input

  • Tricia Belchere

    February 1, 2012 at 8:59 pm

  • Roland R. kahlenberg

    February 2, 2012 at 6:16 am

    It does look like you’re in Front View.

    HTH
    RoRK

    Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
    Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

  • Tricia Belchere

    February 2, 2012 at 8:33 am

    You’re right! I’d checked it and I was in active camera but it must have got switched accidentally! How silly but thanks for your help.

  • Michael Szalapski

    February 2, 2012 at 2:23 pm

    Roland is right; that definitely doesn’t say “Active Camera”.

    – The Great Szalam
    (The ‘Great’ stands for ‘Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble’)

    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy