Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe Premiere Pro Premiere Pro CS4: 64-Bit?

• Premiere Pro CS4: 64-Bit?

• Bill Buchanan

September 24, 2008 at 5:26 pm

There is mention in the CS4 specs that it is “optimized for 64-bit Windows Vista…” Is that a way of saying it is not a true 64-bit app, but that it will work on Win Vista 64-Bit OS?

I believe the specs also suggest it can use up to 4gb of memory. Is that all it can use? Why not much more?

Bill Buchanan
    Buchanan Film Co

• Eddie Lotter

September 24, 2008 at 6:15 pm

Premiere Pro CS4 is a 32bit application. The memory limit is part of the 32bit architecture.

Cheers
    Eddie

• Bill Buchanan

September 24, 2008 at 8:52 pm

I intend call Adobe pre-sales to get a clarification on that. Prem Pro 2 works quite well on XP 64-bit, but not perfectly; certainly a lot better than on XP 32-bit in regards to long-form work.

Bill Buchanan
    Buchanan Film Co

• Dominic Osborne

September 25, 2008 at 4:12 pm

I would find it incredible if PPro wasn’t 64bit. Photoshop is so why not the other packages?

I can make Ppro CS3 crash very quickly if working in HD, due to running out of RAM.

Question is will all these tools work nicely in 64 bit modes, in XP64? I am dreading the thought of having to “upgrade” to Vista…

Dominic Osborne
    —————
    Director & Head of Visuals
    Eight Eyed Sea Bass Ltd
    http://www.eesb.tv

• Bill Buchanan

September 25, 2008 at 5:55 pm

Dominic:

On another forum, I was informed CS4 is still a 32-bit app, though it has been “optimized” to work on Vista 64. I still intend to call Adobe to get a full explanation, but haven’t had time.

I’ve haven’t made the move to Vista 32 or 64 bit either and don’t look forward to it (I’m currently running a dual boot sys with XP32 on one side and XP64 on the other. Still using PPro 2, it works quite well on the XP64 side, most of the time.

That Adobe still hasn’t made Premiere Pro 64-bit is very disappointing. No doubt they’re working on it (they’d be crazy not to), but who knows when it might be done. Those of us working in long-form need it desperately. Having to break up shows into 10 minute projects is a complete drag.

Bill Buchanan
    Buchanan Film Co

• Jim Leonard

September 26, 2008 at 12:34 am

That isn’t what I read at all. I read that it is truly a 64-bit application; when you run it in 64-bit Vista, every component that runs gets access to it’s own 4Gig of RAM (assuming you have more than 4G).

It is true that it is only 32-bit for Mac (for now).

• Jon Barrie

September 26, 2008 at 12:40 am

Technically PProCS4 is not a “64-bit” app. But its fully supported with Vista 64. I’ve seen it run on V64 and it is fast and solid with 7 other Adobe apps open in the background on a laptop with 4G Ram.
    I’m moving to Vista64 having seen this demo.
    – Jon Barrie 😉

How many editors does it take to change a light bulb?
    http://www.jonbarrie.net

• Peter Corbett

September 26, 2008 at 6:22 am

V64 does work. See my post above in ‘CS4 and Vista”.

Peter Corbett
    Powerhouse Productions
    http://www.php.com.au

• Dominic Osborne

September 28, 2008 at 9:58 pm

Hmmm, well I wonder which way around it is.

The Adobe blog where they discussed the development of CS4 basically said that CS4 for Windows would have a 64bit version, while Macs would not get the 64bit treatment until CS5.

If they are only optimising for 64bit operating systems, why not go the whole hog and actually compile a 64bit version?

At least that mention of a laptop with 4GB RAM with 7 Adobe apps runing sound promising – I worry about this sort of situation now as Adobe apps get more and more bloated. The CS3 video apps (AFX, Prem, Encore) all take so long to initialise, take so long even to display a splash screen, that you wonder if you double-clicked the icon properly. I’m talking a good 15-30 seconds depending on how it feels. That on a well optimised system with quad Xeons and 8GB ram in 64bit OS. The [negative] difference in loading times between CS2 and CS3 was incredible.

That’s a different discussion so… so err back to the topic in hand – come Adobe, get yourselves sorted!! We use 64bit 3D software, 64bit 3D motion tracker… need 64bit video tools too. Even Avid have gone 64bit some time ago…

Dominic Osborne
    —————
    Director & Head of Visuals
    Eight Eyed Sea Bass Ltd
    http://www.eesb.tv

• John Welsh

October 2, 2008 at 5:55 pm

Dom, I’m hearing you on the slow loading issue.

The “bloating” of Adobe software is something I’ve noticed too. NO, I don’t expect powerful software to load instantly, but this is ridiculous.

On my Quad (Q6600 Pentium) system, which has 4GB, and is optimized for PP CS3 (i.e., a purpose-built machine with a lean installation that has no non-production crap software on it), the load is exactly as you’ve described–I sometimes wonder if I’ve clicked the icon correctly. In fact, there have been a handful of times when I’ve double-clicked the icon at the right speed (click-click not too slow or fast, just as with any other double-click action for other software), and it doesn’t respond at all, ever, even if I leave the machine and come back. So I finally double-click it again, and it responds.

Perhaps Adobe and Microsoft should merge. Or not.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 16 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy