Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe Premiere Pro Playback / Edit Old 32-bit Avid Compressed files

• Playback / Edit Old 32-bit Avid Compressed files

• Bruce Lambert

November 16, 2021 at 4:57 pm

Client has brought in Avid Compressed files from 2006 in the Avid AVUI Codec 720 X 486 for a historic piece. I can play them inside of VLC although it shows me a split screen of both fields and that’s the way it exports as well. How do I even begin to get this into Premiere 2021? Is this even possible? Would they play back on a current Media Composer? I’m having a feeling that I need to have a machine with an old OS that’s 32-bit with the Avid Codecs loaded and transfer them from it. Any ideas / work arounds? Currently running Mac OS Monterey and Premiere 2021.

• James Brooks

November 16, 2021 at 5:03 pm

videoQC supports a lot of old avid OMF/AAF/MXF/AVI files, and will deal with the fields correctly. You can download the free trial to make sure it works, and if it does, there is a converter built in to export a more modern MOV/MXF to work with.

Cheers, James

• Todd Perchert

November 16, 2021 at 5:03 pm

I would think that AVID MC should be able to read them, but that’s not a definite. Have you tried Handbrake? Just to see if that will read/transcode the files correctly. Not sure why VLC would give a split screen of both fields.

TC

• Bruce Lambert

November 16, 2021 at 7:21 pm

Handbrake is perfect for this! Thanks!

• James Brooks

November 16, 2021 at 7:33 pm

Hi Todd

The split screen is because Avid puts the interlaced fields one after another, rather than the more normal interleaved, and VLC does handle this format.

Cheers, James

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy