Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Adobe After Effects › Photoshop 3d in after effects

  • Photoshop 3d in after effects

    Posted by Dv Scarpino on November 27, 2012 at 5:37 pm

    I have watched the tutorial on importing a 3d object into after effects using Photoshop. However, once I import the object, it comes in as just a black screen. I have tried adding a light and rotating my view, but it stays just a black comp. If I click the 3d layers folder, I can see the object, but once I go back to the comp it just goes black again.

    Any ideas??

    thanks

    Todd Kopriva replied 13 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Angelo Lorenzo

    November 27, 2012 at 6:37 pm

    If I recall correctly, there is some kind of caveat to this. I don’t know if CS6 fixes this since I don’t use 3d models very heavily.

    If it’s a 3d file like obj, you have to light it in Photoshop. After Effects lighting will not affect the linked object. That’s why you’re seeing it as black; at least that is my guess.

    https://ae.tutsplus.com/tutorials/workflow/quick-tip-how-to-import-photoshop-3d-into-ae/

    (Apparently CS6 removes this functionality entirely according to comments)

    ——————–
    Angelo Lorenzo

    Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
    Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
    Fallen Empire Digital Production Services – Los Angeles
    RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
    Fallen Empire – The Blog
    A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

  • Todd Kopriva

    November 29, 2012 at 12:23 am

    Yes, After Effects CS6 removed this feature. The Photoshop team made huge (and good) changes to their 3D features right up until the end of our feature-development cycle, leaving no time for us to integrate it, so we had to just cut it out entirely.

    ———————————————————————————————————
    Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
    After Effects quality engineering
    After Effects team blog
    ———————————————————————————————————

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy