Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy › P2 clips from Hard Drive not Importing into FCP 6

  • P2 clips from Hard Drive not Importing into FCP 6

    Posted by Matt Oldham on November 22, 2008 at 3:44 am

    Hello,

    So here’s my problem. I have read through a number of the posts on both this site and Apple’s Support site and have read numerous posts from people with a problem similar to mine, but there is something still not quite right when I try to import P2 clips from Hard Drive into FCP 6.

    I have tried downloading drivers, CMS files, Viewers, everything, but to no avail. I have tried unchecking the Pulldown and Duplicate frames option in my preferences. I have looked into the PC AVC INTRA Codec and nothing is there on my Mac.

    When I try to import the CONTENTS folder, the clips come up, I can view them, scrub through them, do everything but import them. When I add them to the queue, they begin to transfer, go idle, and the in the status column if I hover over it, it says No Data Found. I can not even re-import old clips that I have already been imported. I know it doesn’t help that we upgraded both the machine and FCP version in the middle of production. Going from a Mac Book to a Mac Pro and from FCP 5 to FCP 6 was a transition, but that difficult of one, this has been my only problem.

    What is it that I am missing about solving this problem. I am working on editing a Feature Film that has a specific deadline for a rough assembly and am beginning to feel a time crunch. Every solution I have tried that other people have suggested to people who have posted on this site or others has ended in failure.

    What am I missing?

    Can someone please help?

    Tom Brooks replied 17 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Steve Eisen

    November 22, 2008 at 9:59 pm

    Use Log and Transfer in FCP 6 not Import.

    Steve Eisen
    Eisen Video Productions
    Board of Directors
    Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

  • Tom Brooks

    November 22, 2008 at 10:16 pm

    The method changes from FCP 5 to 6. Now it’s Log and Transfer.

    I think maybe Steve pegged it on that one.

  • John Fishback

    November 22, 2008 at 10:43 pm

    You mentioned importing the CONTENTS folder. Actually, I believe you want to capture the folder that contains the CONTENTS folder and the LASTCLIP file.

    John

    MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.4 QT7.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
    ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID
    24″ TV-Logic Monitor
    Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

    Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

  • Matt Oldham

    November 23, 2008 at 9:57 pm

    Steve, that was the first hurdle I came across, thanks for the tip.

  • Matt Oldham

    November 23, 2008 at 10:04 pm

    The data I am bringing in have already been imported into FCP 5.x, I know to copy all (contents folder and .txt). The problem is getting FCP 6 to recognize the same media that FCP 5 sees. FCP 6 is not recognizing the P2 media. I can scrub preview in Log and Transfer, but when the actual files go in the queue I run into problems. I also hooked up the camera via firewire to the new mac, and the computer simply does not recognize it. I’m thinking this has to be a driver issue, but if so, which one(s) do I need?

  • Tom Brooks

    November 24, 2008 at 3:14 am

    There should be no confusion about P2 drivers. The latest from Panasonic are the right ones. In fact, I’m not sure you even need a P2 driver to log and transfer from an existing P2 folder.

    The fact that your system does not recognize the camera is troubling. That does indeed suggest either a P2 driver or a camera firmware problem.

    I would also suspect things like file system permissions and directory structure. It would not hurt to try repairing permissions and then go to a product like Disk Warrior to check your drives. Use with all due precautions, however.

    Final Cut Pro 6.0.5, Mac OS-X 10.5.5, Quicktime 7.5.5, Adobe Prod Prem CS4, G5 Quad 2.5, Kona-LHe V6, 8.5GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 7800-GT 256MB, G-RAID 2x1TB FW800, 6TB RAID-5 (Enhance E8-ML, Highpoint 2322), Panasonic HVX-200P P2. Also MBP 17″ Core 2 Duo 2.5, 4GB, GeForce 8600M GT 512MB.

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy