Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums AJA Video Systems Need Blackburst with Kona 2/3?

• Need Blackburst with Kona 2/3?

ken hon updated 16 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 5 Posts
  • ken hon

January 28, 2006 at 10:21 pm

Aloha,

We’re getting a new FCP system with a KONA 3 card in about 2 weeks and I have a question about blackburst for sync. We’re switching from an uncompressed SD SDI system on a PC, so I’m a bit unfamiliar with what we might need. I have ordered the breakout box for the Kona 3 but was wondering does this require an external sync input? We will be inputting HDV and hopefully DVCPRO HD and editing in DVCPRO HD. We will not have a HD Deck, instead we are going to just save our projects in the DVCPRO HD codec on disk and send them to our transfer house to master to HDCAM.

We will be outputting downconverted material via SDI to a deck though. And capturing and upconverting older material via SDI as well.

Monitoring will be done on a JVC 19″ HD CRT with component in looped through to a 24″ Dell LCD screen. The JVC Monitor has sync in (I’ve never used sync on a monitor before).

We won’t be doing any live captures, probably just capturing HDV footage either via firewire or

Do we just connect our old blackburst to the system or will we need some sort of HD sync?

Thanks for any ideas on the subject.

ALoha,

Ken

• Bob Zelin

January 28, 2006 at 11:00 pm

you are not specifying exactly what decks you will be using, so I can’t answer your question. If you are going out to a Sony DVW-A500 digi Beta, or a Sony DSR-1800 DV VTR, yes – you should get a black generator. But if you are just using a HDV VTR, no, you will have no use for a sync gen. If you have the current HDV VTR from Sony, you would be better off with the AJA LHe, which will take in analog HD from the Sony HDV VTR.

Bob Zelin

• ken hon

January 28, 2006 at 11:36 pm

Aloha Bob,

Thank you for your kind reply, sorry about the deck information. Our studio is sort of like Battlestar Galatica, a rag tag fleet of off brand stuff. The deck we use most to record to is a JVC BRD 750 D9 deck with a SDI card. We also have a JVC BRD 600U with component and firewire that we occasionally use to make DV tapes for people and an older Panasonic MII deck. We don’t have the Sony HDV deck, we’ve just been digitizing from an FX-1 but it’s not going to cut it for us and we will be getting a HVX-200 when they become more available and have a field disk drive unit available.

All of our current decks are currently synched to our PC system, and it wouldn’t be hard to keep this the same.

So, I’m inferring from what you said in your first post, that we should keep them synched and run a synch cable to the K3 card. So there is no need for any type of HD synch if there is no HD deck?

And yeah, I know the LHe would have allowed direct input of the Sony HD Component, but we really wanted to be able to have the upconverting ability in house to evaluate older stock footage and to upconvert some programs we had done before. I figured that if we need to bring in component HD, we can just get a component to HD-SDI converter to handle it.

Thanks again for your time and expertise,

Aloha,

Ken

• Bob Zelin

January 29, 2006 at 5:44 pm

replies below –

The deck we use most to record to is a JVC BRD 750 D9 deck with a SDI card.

REPLY – The JVC BR-D750 requires a color black signal to go into the Ref Video In jack on the rear of the VTR, so yes, you will need a black gen for this.

We also have a JVC BRD 600U with component and firewire that we occasionally use to make DV tapes for people and an older Panasonic MII deck.

REPLY – the JVC BR-D600U also has a Ref Video input. It has analog component I/O, so you will not be able to get this VTR into your FCP system.
    You will need an AJA I/O or I/O LA. Same goes for your MII VTR. You need reference. You must be the only person left in the United states still
    using an MII VTR.

We don’t have the Sony HDV deck, we’ve just been digitizing from an FX-1 but it’s not going to cut it for us and we will be getting a HVX-200 when they become more available and have a field disk drive unit available.

REPLY – you will need a way to play out the P2 memory sticks when you get the HVX-200 camera. Buy a black gen – this will be the least of your expenses.

All of our current decks are currently synched to our PC system, and it wouldn’t be hard to keep this the same. –

REPLY – I don’t know what this means. What does your PC system have that allows it to sync all of your equipment. PC’s don’t have reference generators built into them. Do you have a video card in your PC ? What generates house sync, or color black ?

So, I’m inferring from what you said in your first post, that we should keep them synched and run a synch cable to the K3 card. So there is no need for any type of HD synch if there is no HD deck?

REPLY – I have MANY questions for you. You have got a bunch of old gear, many of it analog. Do you have a brand new MAC Quad G5 PCI Express computer to stick your Kona 3 into ? You have not stated your MAC computer, and I assume you know that you need a new MAC PCI Express computer to run your Kona 3. You have not stated what HD VTR you will use, but if you purchase a Panasonic HD VTR, all you need is a standard black gen- the same type of black gen you need RIGHT NOW to lock up your MII, D9, and BR-600U. The same black gen will lock up the HD VTR, and the Kona 3, and I/O box. You do not need a tri level sync gen. SO, what MAC do you have for this application ?

And yeah, I know the LHe would have allowed direct input of the Sony HD Component, but we really wanted to be able to have the upconverting ability in house to evaluate older stock footage and to upconvert some programs we had done before. I figured that if we need to bring in component HD, we can just get a component to HD-SDI converter to handle it.

REPLY – you ain’t gonna be upconverting anything analog without owning an AJA I/O box. I URGE YOU to purchase an AJA I/O with this system, which will go perfectly with your Kona 3, and allow you to upconvert any of these antique VTR’s to HD timeline.

Bob Zelin

• ken hon

January 29, 2006 at 10:37 pm

Aloha Bob,

Sorry if I wasn’t clear about what our current setup is. We do have a blackburst generator currently feeding each of the decks and the PC based NLE. Every deck has an individual blackburst feed and so does the NLE. They are all terminated and we don’t having any looping reference signals.

We feed almost everything into our current NLE via SDI on the D9 deck (we can run component in to this deck from our older decks and take out an SDI signal that we feed to the NLE). We also have a Miranda Firewire to SDI converter that we use to bring in the signal from the DV deck.

Since the Kona 3 is also SDI based, I figured we could feed it the same way we have been currently working with our NLE. If that doesn’t prove to work cleanly we’ll get an AJA IO.

What I wasn’t clear on was whether we needed some type of different blackburst generator for the HD end and you’ve answered that. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

And we do have a Mac Quad with SATA arrays etc. on order to go with the Kona 3 board. We’ll have a bit of a learning curve, but FCP on the Mac seems like it will be around for a while and I don’t want to have to change NLE’s again if possible (or at least for a while).

And I know, MII is the most antiquated thing around, but we have alot of old tapes that we access once in a while, so we keep it around.

The JVC D9 camera and deck have been amazing for the money we have in them. Unfortunately they are on the same evolutionary line as the dodo bird. Strange that JVC developed the technology that Panasonic is using for DVCPRO HD but never carried through with it. So much for that grand plan of mine! Since we’re in the middle of nowhere Hawaii, we just send D9 tapes to a transfer house there in LA, who dubs them to digibeta for clients.

Thanks again for your help,

Ken

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy