Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Panasonic Cameras › my Firestore problem

  • my Firestore problem

    Posted by John Schaub on December 12, 2007 at 6:17 pm

    I just finished a shoot using the Firestore FS-100 and the HVX. I made a serious mistake by not matching the Firestore settings to the HVX. (I miss understood the instructions indicating that the Firestore auto-detected the incoming signal) The problem was compounded by the fact that there was also DVCPRO HD 720 material on the FS.

    I recoded 20 minutes of DVCPRO 50 (camera setting) on the Firestore set to HDVPRO HD. Contrary to what I have been told, the unit actually recorded the material. But retrieving it has been a major issue and could possibly be impossible.

    I executed the “Organize P2” command then I mounted the FS. I used the P2 import in FCP, and only saw only the DVCPRO HD clips. The DV50 clips were on the drive there but not showing in FCP. In the CONTENTS folder I could see the SD files and tried to bring them in manually. I got a “Invalid Directory” error.

    I spoke to John from Firestore (FS) tech support. They said the FS won’t record if you have a miss match like I did. SO John tried exactly what I did and it recorded. We discovered that, it will in fact record and playback on the camera through 1394. (The one thing we didn’t check is the audio. Which comes into play later) We discovered that it plays back through the camera ONLY if you don’t do the “Organize P2” command on the FS. Once that occurs the file won’t playback over 1394 into the camera. (Gives you “wrong 1394 format” error) (Made sure camera was set to 480i DV50)

    I tried the “P2 Log Pro” from Imagine Products. Finally I was able to see the SD (DV50) files. But they were not playing correctly. I discovered that they had been recorded on the FS at 59.94 fps. SO… I imported them into FCP and dropped the clip into a 29.97 timeline. Rendered…and it played back just fine.

    Hurray!

    Except the audio sounded terrible. It is out of sync and I have bad pops. It appears to be recorded at (or effectively recorded at) a different sample rate. Which makes sense since the video was recorded at 59.94. If I slow down the audio to 50% it plays back in sync. But sounds slowed down. I had our audio engineer try to adjust it, but there are still pops and clicks.

    Which brings me to where I am now. I am thinking that when John from FS tried what I did, he had the audio problem too, but just didn’t notice it.

    What I wanted to do was see if anyone had any ideas for fixing the audio. We have tried opening the audio as 44k, 48k, and 96k and all of them still have the pops. We have tried some filters and have it sounding ok, but I would like to get it better if I could.

    thanks
    John

    John Schaub replied 18 years, 9 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy