Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums DaVinci Resolve Multicam clips appear offline in Resolve 16 when importing FcpX timeline

• Multicam clips appear offline in Resolve 16 when importing FcpX timeline

Glenn Sakatch updated 1 month ago 3 Members · 3 Posts
  • Matjaz Jamnik

December 19, 2020 at 4:01 pm

Hi there, posting here for the first time. I am not sure if this is a basic issue or not, but I have done some searching over the web and havent found an appropriate solution, so I hope you guys can help me with this issue.

I have edited and picture locked an exstensive multicam sequence in Final cut Pro X.

I wished to proceed with colour correction in Resolve 16 and exported XML of the timeline. Upon importing the timeline in Resolve, the sequence was there, but all the multicam clips appeared to be offline. I got the “x out of x clips yet to be found” message. I tried to relink the clips manually by pointing to the media location of the original files but nothing happened.

The issue must be with how XML describes multicam clips and how Resolve interpretes, since importing the same XML timeline to Fcpx works without issues.

I also read somewhere that Xml renders and prepares its own media files for references, separate from the original media, but wasnt able to find the physical location of the XML media.

I do all my postproduction work on MacOS.

I hope anyone could direct me to a suitable anod not time consuming solution for the issue.

And maybe point to articles discussing how XML files are prepared and read between mentioned post production softwere.

Thanks a bunch for all the help, Maatjas

• David Baud

December 20, 2020 at 1:35 am

I also read somewhere that Xml renders and prepares its own media files
    for references, separate from the original media, but wasnt able to find
    the physical location of the XML media.

I don’t think this is right. Modern non-linear editing systems use XML file format in order to share editing decision list. It is equivalent to a traditional EDL but with more information than an EDL. Unfortunately because each editing system uses its own proprietary function for editing (some transitions, re-timing, some transforms, etc…) not every editing decision can be translated using an XML file. The XML file will reference to the original file or the files used in your editing timeline or sequence. An XML file will not create rendered files.

Regarding your particular issue, if you are not getting any connected files, I am wondering if it is more related to the file format from your media. Which camera (brand, model) and file format & codec is your media?

One trick you can try in Resolve, is to first import all your media used in your FCPX timeline. Then try to re-import your FCPXML file and see if it reconnects…

• Glenn Sakatch

December 20, 2020 at 4:56 pm

Any time i get a list from another editor, i ask them to “commit” their multicams. Most NLE’s have a way of taking a multicam sequence, and – essentially- taking away the multicam ability.

This commitment is usually needed for the online box to do a proper conform. From Avid, an uncommitted multicam sequence will usually show proper clips from 1 of the cameras, and black from the other. I haven’t received a FCPX timeline for a while, so i can’t say for certain if it would show offline, but i would certainly start by committing your multicams, or what ever final cut calls it.

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy