Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums VEGAS Pro MPEG2 render crashing Windows 7 using Vegas 8.0

• MPEG2 render crashing Windows 7 using Vegas 8.0

Kevin Caulfield updated 11 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 21 Posts
  • Kevin Caulfield

May 5, 2011 at 2:58 am

I posted something similar a few weeks ago about how I’ve been having problems every time I try to render a project as MPEG2 in Vegas 8. Basically the whole computer was shutting down at around 12 % into the render.
    A couple of people suggested that this seemed to be an overheating issue with the computer and that using a fan to cool the inside of the computer during the render may help. I didn’t get around to trying that yet, but have just tried some renders again, and now the crashing is occurring almost immediately on starting an MPEG2 render.
    No warnings or anything, but just a complete shutdown of the computer.
    Maybe it is overheating, but this is happening right at the start of the render, and this is almost a brand new computer.
    I’ve made sure I have the most recent upgrade of Vegas 8.0, namely 8.0 c, and I’ve also tried rendering using the 64-bit version, 8.1.
    Any other thoughts on anything else I could try would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Danny Hays

May 5, 2011 at 3:48 am

Does this happed with just one particular file your rendering or does it happen with any file? Some file formats are alot harder on the CPU than others and a corrrupt file can cause also problems rendering.
    What format and where did the video come from? This info may help us determine what the problem is.

• Stephen Mann

May 5, 2011 at 3:51 am

“No warnings or anything, but just a complete shutdown of the computer.”

A complete shutdown is almost always a heat issue. But if it’s shutting down right away, you could be overloading the PSU. Have you added any hardware to the PC since you bought it? I don’t recall if you stated which PC you are using, but some low-cost PC builders will give you a power supply just capable for the shipped configuration. For example, if your PS, as configured, needs 345-watts, you will get a 350-watt power supply instead of a 400 or 500-watt PSU. When you add a dual-head display adapter and a few hard-drives, then you could easily push it beyond the “as-shipped” power requirements. Rendering is processor-intensive, so if your power supply is “on the edge”, like a 350-Watt PSU trying to supply 400-Watts, for example, you could be tripping safety circuits in the PSU.

Have you run prime95? It’s a free utility to calculate prime numbers, but it torture tests your CPU and memory. Google it, download it, run it for a couple of hours, then get back to us. While you do that, also look for a temperature monitor program (I use CoreTemp). They’re free. while you are running prime95 watch the CPU temperature.

Steve Mann

Steve Mann
    MannMade Digital Video
    http://www.mmdv.com

• Kevin Caulfield

May 5, 2011 at 4:19 am

Hi Danny. It happens with any file. I did try just selecting a 2 or 3 minute chunk of one file and rendering that loop region only, and it started rendering for a few seconds but then crashed. Thanks.

• Kevin Caulfield

May 5, 2011 at 4:20 am

Thanks for your quick reply, Steve. I’ll try that and get back to you.
    Best regards,
    Kevin

• Kevin Caulfield

May 5, 2011 at 4:35 am

Hi Steve,

I downloaded Prime 95 and ran it and it actually crashed the whole computer. Just to check, I then downloaded it again from a different site and ran it again, and again it crashed the computer straight away.

So, it’s looking like a serious issue.

Kevin

• Mike Kujbida

May 5, 2011 at 4:57 am

Bad stick of RAM?

• Kevin Caulfield

May 5, 2011 at 7:17 am

I thought a bad stick of RAM could be a possibility, Mike. I just ran a test with a diagnostic disc and the RAM all seems to be fine.

• Stephen Mann

May 5, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Actually, not serious at all. It makes the diagnostic even easier. So, it’s not Vegas or the media.

So, back to my questions. Have you added hardware to the PC since purchase? What is the make and model of PC and what size power-supply does it have?

Steve Mann
    MannMade Digital Video
    http://www.mmdv.com

• Anthony Atkielski

May 5, 2011 at 10:47 pm

A system crash during a test like Prime implies overheating problems, a CPU hardware failure, or a PSU failure or overload. It tends to exclude problems with Vegas, device drivers, disk drives, or the dreaded Microsoft .NET.

Open the case and verify that all fans are running (including CPU, PSU, and GPU or disks if applicable). Turn off the computer and disconnect the power cord and blow out any dust in the case with a can of compressed air. Add up all the power requirements of all the components in your computer and make sure they don’t exceed 80%-90% of the rated power output of your power supply.

If it’s not overheating or an overloaded power supply, and given that you’ve tested all the RAM and it works, the CPU would be the next suspect. CPUs usually don’t fail unless they overheat, but it’s remotely possible.

In all of these cases, I’d expect other CPU-intensive tasks to crash the system, too. But there aren’t many things that are more CPU-intensive than video editing or video games, so it may be that you have nothing else on the system that puts the same load on it.

A blue screen or spontaneous reboot could be a software issue. If the machine simply freezes solid, it could be software or hardware.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 21 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy