Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums VEGAS Pro MPEG2 render crashing Windows 7 using Vegas 8.0

• MPEG2 render crashing Windows 7 using Vegas 8.0

Kevin Caulfield updated 11 years ago 5 Members · 21 Posts
  • Kevin Caulfield

May 5, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Hi Steve,

The computer is an ASUS Gladiator HFP19010C, with an Intel i-7 Quad and 8GB of RAM. I don’t have the specs on the power supply. Will open up the case and see what I can find. I have not added any hardware to the computer since purchase apart from a firewire card, as the onboard firewire was faulty. Thanks for your help.

• Kevin Caulfield

May 6, 2011 at 1:49 am

I opened the case and had a squiz. There’s not much dust there at all. The computer is only a couple of months old.

The power supply is an AcBel PC9045 and it says 313.9W max in one place and peak 380W in another place.

I could only see one fan and it seems to be working fine.

• Stephen Mann

May 6, 2011 at 3:24 am

Anthony, Kevin said that it crashes immediately. Heat problems won’t crash that fast. (Assuming that the PC is cold at startup.)

Kevin – a 313Watt PSU is incredibly underpowered. I am surprised that the PC worked out of the box. 300-Watt PSU’s are what we used on Pentium computers. I am really leaning toward this being your problem. Go to your local computer mart and buy a 650-Watt PSU. Take the old one to make sure the motherboard connectors are the same.

Steve Mann
    MannMade Digital Video
    http://www.mmdv.com

• Kevin Caulfield

May 6, 2011 at 4:54 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your quick reply. Isn’t it amazing that they would sell a new computer with such an underspecified power supply? I will definitely take your advice. Will take it back to the local computer place where I bought it and get them to swap the power supply to something more appropriate. I just checked another place and it looks like I should be able to get a 650 W PSU for about $150. Thanks again for your help. 🙂

• Kevin Caulfield

May 6, 2011 at 5:02 am

I checked with somebody at the place which sells PSUs etc to see what they had in stock and he agreed that 313W or 380W is a bit under spec for video editing. He suggested I try an ANTEC “high current gamer” 620W PSU as it will keep a constant current supply to the graphics card.

By the way, this computer has a dedicated 1 GB Nvidia GT 430 graphics card – this guy said that it is pretty mcuh bottom of the line for video editing, so that Antec PSU should help it a bit.

He suggested to replace the PSU first and if there are still problems to change out the graphics card for something better.

• Anthony Atkielski

May 6, 2011 at 7:57 am

I agree with Stephen: 380 watts is dramatically underpowered for anything that is going to come close to doing any video editing work. A very simple PC that just does basic e-mail and Web surfing could get away with it; but it’s hard to imagine any usable configuration for video editing that could get by on so little power.

I hadn’t seen the part about it crashing immediately; that does indeed tend to exclude overheating.

An overloaded power supply can do bad things to the rest of the machine, so don’t delay in getting more power. You can just remove the PSU and replace it with a more powerful one and that should be fine.

PSUs consume only the power needed to run the PC, so getting an overpowered PSU won’t cost you any more in terms of operating costs. Remember that some CPUs can consume 125 watts while operating at 100%, and some GPUs require more than double that amount.

PC manufacturers use the cheapest stuff they can get away with. I built my last few PCs myself. That way you get exactly what you want, no more and no less. You don’t necessarily save money, but the money you spend is better spent than with an off-the-shelf machine.

• Stephen Mann

May 6, 2011 at 12:23 pm

“Isn’t it amazing that they would sell a new computer with such an underspecified power supply?”

No surprise at all. Most PC manufacturers build their box with the cheapest parts that will survive to the end of the warranty. If they save a dollar on the PSU, and sell a million units, that’s a million dollars in profits. It worked when they shipped it. If all you did was browse the web and send a few e-mails, you would never have a problem. Add any new hardware and do something processor-intensive, like video editing or Prime95 and you can easily overwhelm the power supply.

To be honest, I didn’t think anyone was still making PSU’s that underpowered, so until you said that it crashed immediately, not over time, the PSU wasn’t even on the radar.

Another benefit to the 650-W or higher PSU is that your PC will run cooler! Pulling 350-Watts out of a 300-Watt PSU will literally cook it, and heat your PC. Pull 350-Watts from a 650-Watt PSU and it’s just barely cruising. Plus you have headroom for adding a second display adapter, an eSATA card, etc.

Steve Mann
    MannMade Digital Video

• Kevin Caulfield

May 6, 2011 at 11:27 pm

So, Steve, what are your thoughts about the 620W high current gamer Antec PSU?

Does that make sense that this PSU will keep the graphics card running smoothly?

• Stephen Mann

May 7, 2011 at 12:40 am

A “gamer” PSU probably has more “rails”. Each rail (in PSU speak) is separate from others. Originally, and especially on the cheap supplies, there was only one +12V rail and one +5v rail. The two +12V pins were simply tied together, and the same for the five +5V pins. just all tied together on the same regulator and filtering circuit. So, if a power-hungry device pulls the +5V line down a bit, everything using the +5V line is affected. With multiple rails, each rail is a separate transformer secondary, separate regulator and separate filters. Noise or excessive load on one generally can’t affect the other rails.

Short answer, anything is better than what you have now.

Steve Mann
    MannMade Digital Video

• Kevin Caulfield

May 8, 2011 at 11:51 am

Thanks, Steve. I really appreciate your help.

Viewing 11 - 20 of 21 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy