Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Avid Media Composer Media Composer/Symphony 4.0 announced

• Media Composer/Symphony 4.0 announced

Tom Keith updated 12 years, 9 months ago 11 Members · 19 Posts
  • Michael Hancock

September 10, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Mixed frame rates and frame size playback in the same timeline, full quality and realtime. Transitions stay with clips in segment mode (finally!). Encode to AVC-I for delivery. Academic version is $249 with four years of free upgrades.

Looks very nice:

Press Release.

More info.

——————————-
    I’ll be working late.

• Joe Womble

September 10, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Yes, it’s very solid.

It’s hard seeing people with the framerate problems and not being able to tell them what’s around the bend. 🙂 It should be very helpful in solving some of these problems. Worth the cost of the upgrade alone.

I’m hoping for Avid’s continued support and development for all the AVC codecs, etc. that are out there.

Joe Womble

• Shane Ross

September 10, 2009 at 7:45 pm

This is really nice.

Questions, for people who might know. When you mix frame rates…which frame rate is the dominant one? the one you start out with? So if 29.97, then 23.98 converts to 29.97? Does it do it WELL? FCP does this, but not well.

And “Full quality.” Which quality are we talking? Does each clip play back at the full quality of it’s settings, so DVCPRO HD 720 at DVCPRO HD 720, then DV at DV, then XDCAM 1080 at XDCAM 1080? Or if you have an HD sequence, does the DV get upconverted to HD?

How does this all work?

God…I might be coming back to Avid. 3 major releases in under a year, each costing WELL under $1000…cripes.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD…don’t miss it.
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

• Michael Hancock

September 10, 2009 at 7:52 pm

I’ll answer as best I can, based on what I’ve picked up on the Avid L2 and Avid forums. I’m not a beta tester so I don’t have first hand knowledge.

[Shane Ross] ” When you mix frame rates…which frame rate is the dominant one?”

I believe it’s your project’s frame rate. If you’re in a 29.97 project and play a 23.98 clip it conforms 23.98 to 29.97.

[Shane Ross] “Does it do it WELL? FCP does this, but not well. “

Word on the street is yes. Considering Avid’s standing with the film world, if they screwed that up they’d never hear the end of it.

[Shane Ross] “And “Full quality.” Which quality are we talking? Does each clip play back at the full quality of it’s settings, so DVCPRO HD 720 at DVCPRO HD 720, then DV at DV, then XDCAM 1080 at XDCAM 1080? Or if you have an HD sequence, does the DV get upconverted to HD? “

I picked up the “full quality, realtime” from an Avid employee on the Avid forum. I interpret it as–you can mix frame rates and play to tape. No transcoding required, no rendering. I reserve the right to be completely wrong about that, though.

Avid is definitely giving its users a lot of bang for their buck this year, rolling out updates faster and faster. I just hope the momentum continues well into the future.

Michael

——————————-
    I’ll be working late.

• Grinner Hester

September 10, 2009 at 8:08 pm

Can’t wait to see what they really do.

• Jack Frost

September 10, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Any word on tape vs. tapeless implementations as far as mixing frame rates goes?

• John Pale

September 11, 2009 at 12:06 am

Any chance you can play out a Digital Cut with lots of fx in real time on the DX the way you could on the “classic” Nitris? Or is it still “lots of real time until you need to do a digital cut”?

• Job ter Burg

September 11, 2009 at 8:35 am

Same deal.

The claim is that this is all done in broadcast quality (unlike another NLE package).

• Scott Cumbo

September 11, 2009 at 6:46 pm

The “Full Quality” thing is that you don’t have to render to play/edit and you can view it in full quality “green” mode (not the 1/2 quality yellow/green mode)

But you do have to render when you do a digital cut to tape (but you
    can run a dvd screener without rendering)

The other cool thing I read with mix frame rates is that you can change the delfault field motion. The Field Motion can be Interlaced/Progressive/2:3 Film/Progressive Strobe.

also NTSC and Pal in the same sequence.

Scott Cumbo
    Editor
    Broadway Video, NYC

• Shane Ross

September 11, 2009 at 6:49 pm

[Scott Cumbo] “The “Full Quality” thing is that you don’t have to render to play/edit and you can view it in full quality “green” mode (not the 1/2 quality yellow/green mode) “

I get that…but at WHAT quality? What setting? if you have 1080i, 720p and DV (480i) in one sequence, do they play back at THEIR quality, or converted to the sequence setting quality? That is what I am confused by.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD…don’t miss it.
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Viewing 1 - 10 of 19 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy