Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Apple Final Cut Pro X Masters suddenly become 3 to 4 times bigger!

• Masters suddenly become 3 to 4 times bigger!

• Brian Thomas

December 21, 2022 at 9:48 am

My main activity is multicam videoing of amateur stage shows. For years a typical one hour show/Act has given me an exported video master (Cmd + E) of about 50GB but with the latest version of FXP (10.6.5) with Ventura 13.0.1, I noticed these are taking almost 200GB. I don’t think I’m doing anything different from before and I was wondering if anybody else has noticed this.

• Brian Thomas

December 21, 2022 at 1:47 pm

Oh dear – I think I’ve got it. I looked in the setting for the Export and I seem to have specified the Video Codec of “Apple Prores 4444 XQ”. I can’t remember changing to that! Anyway, I tried it again with the ‘Source’ option (“Source – Apple ProRes 422” as it turned out), ran the export again and the output fie ended up a much more reasonable 65GB. Phew! I also compared the two files for image quality difference and to me there was NO difference but then I don’t have the latest and greatest equipment. So please stop panicking on my behalf 😉

• Brian Thomas

December 21, 2022 at 2:39 pm

And to round things off I created an MP4 from the “Apple ProRes 422” file and that reduced the same video size down to 2.87 GB. About 1% of the “Apple ProRes 4444 XQ” file! To my not-so-bad eyes there’s no worthwhile difference. Interesting, at least for me.

• Ben Balser

December 22, 2022 at 12:24 pm

If you’re dealing with 1080 footage, H.264 is going to be just fine, anything else is overkill.

• Brian Thomas

December 22, 2022 at 12:35 pm

Yeah, that’s the situation. Goodness only knows why I changed it. All good now and reasonable file sizes again. Thanks!

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy