Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Adobe After Effects Expressions › Make 3d text layer behave like 2d (ignore inherited rotation from parent)

  • Make 3d text layer behave like 2d (ignore inherited rotation from parent)

    Posted by Marina Cotrim on August 23, 2023 at 4:19 pm

    Hi guys!

    I’m trying to animate a fake 3d globe (CC sphere effect) and the rotations of the effect are taken from the rotation of a 3d null via expressions.

    This worked fine.

    My problem: I would like to atach pins with some text to the globe and while rotating the globe, the pins+text would follow the movement and keep the relative position but not any rotation.

    I have parented the pins to the rotation null, and they “stick” to the positions as I wanted. However, when I rotate the globe, the pins also rotate and this is not the effect I’m looking for.

    I tried to counteract the parent null rotation by making the pins rotation be the parent rotation *-1. It kinda works, but not exactly, and I don’t know why…

    What can I do to make it work? Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks!

    Marina Cotrim replied 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Filip Vandueren

    August 25, 2023 at 2:46 pm

    Hi Marina,

    The way I would usually do this is to auto-orient the marker-layer towards the camera.

    For the marker to convincingly stick to the surface, it’s distance from the Null should be equal to the CC Sphere’s radius.

    Does that help ?

  • Marina Cotrim

    August 26, 2023 at 3:15 pm

    Thank you for your help!
    Unfortunatelly none of my attempts with orienting towards the camera worked. I also tried the lookAt expression…
    But, for anyone trying to achieve this effect, what worked for me was using a 2d text layer and attach it to a 3d null in the correct 3d position as you described, by applying the method shown here: https://www.provideocoalition.com/expression_shorts_-_attach_2d_layer_to_a_3d_layer/

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy