Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy › Is H.264 the way to go?

  • Is H.264 the way to go?

    Posted by Q. Ragsdale on May 21, 2008 at 6:19 am

    I am compressing some videos for a client to stream on the web. Is H.264 the best preset to use in compressor for this? (They want a .mov file) I’m compressing it now and it says it will take 7 hours and this is just the first one!! If my system is going to be tied up that long I want to be sure I’m using the best format. Thanks!

    Video file info-
    Dimensions: standard def 720×480 (I’m compressing it to 640×480)
    Length: 30min

    My comp-
    Tiger 10.4.11
    Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5
    2 GB DDR SDRAM

    Peace~
    Q

    Kevin Monahan replied 18 years, 4 months ago 8 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Walter Biscardi

    May 21, 2008 at 11:04 am

    I use H.264 for everything here as I have found it the best. Typically 800 – 2500kpbs is what I render in depending on how long the piece is and what the client is happy with.

    In Compressor you can set an In and Out point so you can render a short test file first and send that off to the client to ensure they’re happy with the files before you render everything.

    I would expect that to take in the neighborhood of about 3 hours with that machine though, kind of suprised it’s taking that long for a 30 minute render. We still have one of those here and to take a 26 minute show and compress it to MPEG-2 for DVD takes about 2 hours or so.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Biscardi Creative Media
    HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

    STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
    Read my Blog!
    View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

  • Steve Eisen

    May 21, 2008 at 12:26 pm

    Elgato Turbo.264 is the perfect solution.

    Steve Eisen
    Eisen Video Productions
    Board of Directors
    Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

  • Walter Biscardi

    May 21, 2008 at 12:34 pm

    [Steve Eisen] “Elgato Turbo.264 is the perfect solution.”

    Does this have any advantage over the QMaster Distributed processing? We’ve set up 2 to 8 instances on our Mac Pro’s and Compressor screams on a single machine when you do this.

    On a G5 you probably still need the help of another app, but I was curious how this compares to just using the QMaster.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Biscardi Creative Media
    HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

    STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
    Read my Blog!
    View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

  • Richard Harrington

    May 21, 2008 at 12:37 pm

    Best $79 ever spent

    https://www.vidpodcaster.com/files/turboh264.html

    Richard M. Harrington, PMP

    Author: Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, and ATS:iWork

  • Arnie Schlissel

    May 21, 2008 at 2:57 pm

    Me want! I’m going to get one today!

    Arnie
    Post production is not an afterthought!
    https://www.arniepix.com/

  • Kevin Monahan

    May 21, 2008 at 3:04 pm

    The trouble with H.264 is that although it looks great and has small file sizes, most people do not the the most current version of QT installed, especially PC people.

    I found this out while shopping around my new demo reel. I am sure I have lost a few interviews because they just gave up trying to view my reel.

    I just made a QT 6 MPEG 4 file that is much more easily viewed on PCs. It’s quite large to get even similar quality, but that is the price I have to pay for getting the right people to view the reel.

    Kevin Monahan
    http://www.fcpworld.com
    Author – Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

  • Chris Borjis

    May 21, 2008 at 5:11 pm

    [Kevin Monahan] “The trouble with H.264 is that although it looks great and has small file sizes, most people do not the the most current version of QT installed, especially PC people.”

    that is still a very real problem. mpeg4 won’t help much either because h.264 is a flavor of mpeg4.

    If a client of mine insists on a quicktime to reach the masses the only option is a sorensen 3 codec quicktime. Anyone with quicktime can play that.

    Only trouble is, there are systems out there without quicktime.

    So I usually insist on flash video since it has the highest compatibility being on nearly every platform in existence and if you don’t have it, it installs in a few seconds without any effort.

    When flash player finally supports H.264 it will be a day of celebration! 🙂

  • David Roth weiss

    May 21, 2008 at 5:30 pm

    Guys, quit shaking in your boots and gear up now for Web distribution using h.264 without fear.

    The latest Flash Players will play h.264 as well as Flash, thus giving h.264 the same cross-platform penetration that before made Flash so attractive.

    David Roth Weiss
    Director/Editor
    David Weiss Productions, Inc.
    Los Angeles

    POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

    A forum host of Creative COW’s Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

  • Arnie Schlissel

    May 21, 2008 at 5:39 pm

    I think that Windows Media Player also supports H.264. As does VLC player, and a few other linux oriented players. In short, it’s pretty widely supported accross all platforms and architecutres.

    Arnie
    Post production is not an afterthought!
    https://www.arniepix.com/

  • Kevin Monahan

    May 21, 2008 at 6:28 pm

    Great Walter. Can you point me to a tutorial which describes how to get from FCP to Flash Video to a web page? Moreover, how to make it work with iWeb?

    It must be a very arcane workflow, because everything on the Adobe site is so convoluted that this simple task is nowhere to be found. If it is, it must be buried somewhere.

    When I did work for Macromedia back in the day, I talked to the product manager of Flash and told him that a simple flash video workflow should be spoon fed to the masses. Still, I cannot find it.

    Any help?

    Kevin Monahan
    http://www.fcpworld.com
    Author – Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Page 1 of 2

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy