Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums AJA Video Systems Io HD, ProRes from Digital Betacam and sound longer than video

• Io HD, ProRes from Digital Betacam and sound longer than video

• Vladimir Novikov

December 7, 2012 at 10:26 pm

HI all,

I need to send the video with visible time code and VI sound overseas for dubbing, and I get a small problem while ingesting the DigiBeta using Io HD.

I use Mac OS X 10.8.2, last versions of Aja drivers and software and Compressor 4.0.6.

The Digital Betacam is acquired as ProRes 422HQ SD PAL QuickTime MOV file. When I check the movie properties (Command – J), I see the video track 1:02:30:04 long and four sound tracks 1:02:30:21 long.

So, the sound tracks are a little bit longer then the video track. I didn’t notice any problem of video/audio sync, but still…

I’ve used Compressor to produce an h.264 file with visible time code and the file has both streams 1:02:30:04 long.

Now, when I export the sound using the Export -> Sound to AIFF command, I get two possibilities: one AIFF file with two discrete channels or one AIFF file with a stereo pair. In both cases the file is 1:02:30:04 long, so Quicktime corrects this small difference of duration.

But if I use the Extract option from the properties view, I get two independent AIFFs each 1:02:30:21 long.

I presume it’s not a big deal, but still would like to know why it happens.

Other question, the dubbing guys ask me to send them the files as FLAC. I presume they want to save upload/download time and bandwidth, but I’m afraid another transformation will produce another time shift. FLAC and ALAC are lossless, so AIFF – FLAC – AIFF should in theory produce exactly the same file, but who knows…

Viewing 1 of 1 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy