Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Creative Community Conversations I’m sure some may have seen this from Forbes on the new Apple ARM laptops

• I’m sure some may have seen this from Forbes on the new Apple ARM laptops

• Ron Lindeboom

October 8, 2020 at 12:52 am

I’m just not as sold as Ewan Spence is, even though I’m a longtime ARM investor. I remember too well the transition from Classic to Power PC, along with the subsequent transition from Power PC to Intel. I don’t think I’m up for Round Three… You?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2020/10/03/apple-macbook-pro-macos-arm-intel-versus-power-microsoft-surface-pro-x/

• Michael Gissing

October 8, 2020 at 4:02 am

I think the enthusiasm expressed in the article is ignoring the transition pain. If we look down the track past that then sure the future looks better for Apple. But to assume that Microsoft will be the loser is simplistic. Apple’s share of computer OS has always been insignificant to Microsoft. MS are also getting much more cosy with Linux and so they can also make a switch to ARM down the track and the transition may be smoother than Apple’s.

A big fly in Apple’s ointment might be the purchase of ARM by NVIDIA. It’s no secret that NVIDIA and Apple haven’t seen eye to eye over GPUs so let’s see what that might bring to the debate.

Either way I’m not touching Apple products nor recommending them to anyone at the moment.

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy