Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Panasonic Cameras › HDX 900 – 23.98/59.94p video workflow

  • HDX 900 – 23.98/59.94p video workflow

    Posted by Chilli Brown on January 31, 2007 at 3:07 pm

    First I like to apologize for returning to a topic about which much has been written. I’ve searched the archives and read as many posts as I could find, but most have twists that sometimes muddy the waters (for me). I’m a DP with and HDX 900, trying to be proactive before we dig a hole for ourselves in post.

    My scenario is very simple. We’re shooting 720p, 23.98 (the director wants that look). The project is intended for TV delivery, DBeta and HDCAM masters.

    The post plan (as explained to me) is to downconvert to DV (via firewire, AJ 1400 deck) to both Media Composer and Avid Express, then conform (process yet to be decided).

    Everyone is a little confused with the “59.94 – pulldown already in the video” thing.

    My question is… should the offline guys be removing those pulldown frames (and edit true 24), then conform (again 24) adding pulldown at the end, or is it fine to just treat it like regular 29.97 (59.94) video all the way through and ignore the pulldown issue entirely?

    They think it is fine. I don’t care (of course, I’m the camera guy) but don’t want any issues coming back down the pipe later.

    I am well aware that in most cases, cutting native DVCPRO HD is so efficient (especially – native 24p) that most people don’t bother with downconverts etc. – but that’s not going to happen. They want to do it this way.

    Perhaps I should post to the Avid forum as well, but I thought I should start here.

    Thanks for your indulgence (and such a great resource).

    Scott Brown
    Toronto

    Chilli Brown replied 19 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Gary Adcock

    January 31, 2007 at 4:28 pm

    [Chilli Brown] “My question is… should the offline guys be removing those pulldown frames (and edit true 24), then conform (again 24) adding pulldown at the end, or is it fine to just treat it like regular 29.97 (59.94) video all the way through and ignore the pulldown issue entirely?”

    Depending on the Avid version they may or may not be able to do this. Adrenaline supports 720p24 over FW but Not HDSDI. Nitris does not support 720p at all.

    On Avids it is best to treat it the media as 59.94 if you are not working in the versions that support 720p native.

    gary adcock
    Studio37
    HD & Film Consultation
    Post and Production Workflows

  • Chilli Brown

    January 31, 2007 at 4:52 pm

    Thanks Gary,

    My guess is that since there’s (up until very recently) not much 720p happening in Toronto, relative to 1080i (primarily HDCAM) most of the post houses will prefer to capture from the 1400 deck at 1080i, likely via HDSDI. One post house in the running does indeed have a Nitris.

    My main concern was re the pulldown, and any problems at the conform/gfx level if it was left in the whole way through.

    Thanks again for such a speedy reply.

    Scott

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy