Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Apple Final Cut Pro X Has anyone successfully imported Hi8 videotape into a Thunderbolt 3 Mac?

• Has anyone successfully imported Hi8 videotape into a Thunderbolt 3 Mac?

Phil Hyson updated 2 weeks ago 7 Members · 16 Posts
  • Paul Garmon

March 26, 2021 at 3:55 pm

If you plan to do this more than once, I agree with Andy Liebman (and Wilson Chao, who may remember me from Flamingo Graphics, Avid and Bola32 days!) that some Digital-8 camcorders are a good purchase for this use. My DCR-TRV840 accepts 8mm, Hi-8, and Digital-8 tapes and plays any of them with simultaneous output on i.Link (a.k.a. Firewire). I used to use the AVCVideoCapture app, but I guess others have since replaced that. Not only that, but the TRV840 (and maybe others) will also transcode from its analog inputs to Firewire, which makes it a better converter than most! Possible you could find one (hopefully not at usurious prices) on ebay or CraigsList, or put out a “Wanted” post(er). 😀 [Camcorder being self-powered, removes one obstacle from the course!]

• IGZIGNIOUS

March 26, 2021 at 4:12 pm

The most stable way I have imported Hi-8, VHS, mini-DV etc into a Mac is using a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle bought on ebay (Thunderbolt or USB3) and using Media Express to do the import. I also have a in a TBC for the VHS import. After import then use FCP7 or X or whatever for editing.. Importing using FW800 into any of the NLEs or iMovie is fraught with problems .. timecode breaks etc.

• Phil Hyson

March 27, 2021 at 5:15 pm

Andy, thanks for the detailed info re: Sony Digital8. I’m using a Hi8 Sony CCD-TR101 (1993), the same camera I used to make the original Hi8 DV recordings. It does import via FCPX on my older TB2 Mac. Although the FCPX Preview window freezes while importing, the recording is OK. I have no idea why the FCPX window freezes though.

<font face=”inherit”>Apparently the Apple TB 3 to TB2 </font>converter<font face=”inherit”> does not work so I’ll give up on that.</font>

• Phil Hyson

March 27, 2021 at 5:23 pm

My original Hi8 camera will transcode to digital. The issues are 1) Will work with TB2 (although with a frozen preview screen using FCPX, and 2) will not work at all with TB3.

Thanks all for the input.

As for long-term storage I plan to transcode into ProRes 422 and use Mark’s suggestion of Camera Archive for long-term storage. Hopefully those two thoughts are compatible.

BTW, has anyone compared FCPX transcoding to Apple’s Compressor transcoding?

• Patrick Donegan

March 27, 2021 at 10:43 pm
  • Phil Hyson

March 28, 2021 at 8:48 pm

Patrick provided a great link. It confirms what I suspected all along, but had not found confirmation anywhere. The link confirms this: “When used to connect Thunderbolt 3 devices to a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 Mac, it must be a self-powered device. Bus-powered devices connected directly to that Apple adapter are not supported.” This is why my TB3 to TB2 adapter did not power up the digital converter. I will say that if your bus-powered device has a power plug, then it should work when plugged into a power source.

BTW, my Canopus ADVC-110 does have a power jack; it just does not come with a power cord.

Also, a Firewire 800, when plugged into a FW800 to TB2 adapter DOES work.

Thanks for the link Patrick!

Viewing 11 - 16 of 16 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy