Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy › h.264 to ProRes into FCP via Compressor nightmare

  • h.264 to ProRes into FCP via Compressor nightmare

    Posted by Johnny Smith on January 28, 2011 at 1:06 am

    So i got 274 5D mark ii files (264) that i need to convert to ProRes 422 for FCP and After Effects.
    in Compressor i click on add file icon and select 10 files (tried 100 files and it crashed) but once i drop a generic ProRes on them it dies a slow and I assume painful death.

    Please, tell me I don’t have to convert 274 files one at a time??

    I got 2×3.2GHz Mac Pro with 3TB array, 16GB memory, os x 10.6.6, and CS5.

    Paul Jay replied 15 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • David Roth weiss

    January 28, 2011 at 1:35 am

    You need to make and use a “droplet” in Compressor. Rather than spelling the whole process out, may I suggest that you look in the Compressor manual or in the online manual in the help menu.

    David Roth Weiss
    Director/Editor/Colorist
    David Weiss Productions, Inc.
    Los Angeles
    https://www.drwfilms.com

    POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

    A forum host of Creative COW’s Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

  • Olin Padilla

    January 28, 2011 at 1:46 am

    I personally find that compressor has a lot of issues with larger batches.

    In this type of situation I would use MPEG Streamclip (free), if only for the simplicity and reliability.

  • Jeremy Garchow

    January 28, 2011 at 1:47 am

    Batches of 30 or so should work.

    Setup 9 batches of 30 and submit then one at a time.

    You don’t have to let them finish before submitting the next one.

  • Peter Mcauley

    January 28, 2011 at 3:36 am

    Just the other day I used FCP log and transfer (EOS 5D plugin) on 173 5D clips without a hitch. It also added time of day timecode and reel numbers from the CF card numbers. I believe FCP is using compressor anyway.
    Peter McAuley
    AXYZ
    Toronto

  • Johnny Smith

    January 28, 2011 at 4:43 am

    thank you thank you.

  • Paul Jay

    January 28, 2011 at 9:23 am

    And if you use compressor and you have a 8-core or more machine, you can also create a Compressor Cluster in system preferences/qmaster.

    This way you can use all your cores with Compressor jobs.

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy