Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe Premiere Pro H.264 codec question

• H.264 codec question

Alex Lau updated 1 week, 1 day ago 2 Members · 3 Posts
  • Alex Lau

September 14, 2020 at 6:20 pm

I have seem a lot of the seasoned video editors suggesting ProRed and DNxHD over H.264 codec for editing. They prefer uncompressed codec which retain tons of original information.

Let’s say my camera is not one of those professional jobs like a Panasonic GH4 that record in H.264 mp4. Is there any reason to export with ProRed or DNxHD which produces a much larger filesize?

My understanding is, you cannot create more information because the recording was in H.264. Rendering in ProRed or DNxHD is like digital zooming. You get a bigger image, but you don’t gain resolution.

Am I right?

• Bret Hampton

September 14, 2020 at 8:06 pm

Hi Alex
    The reason for editing with ProRes (not called ProRed) or Avid DnX is to make your editing experience smoother, with less issues.

H264 uses whats called long GOP (Group of Pictures) to encode such small files. That’s great, but it makes your computer work much harder playing back because it has to decode this.

Injesting to Premiere (via Media Browser, don’t copy/paste; use Media Browser to keep Metadata and long video files properly connected) and making ProRes doesn’t change the quality nor is it uncompressed. Nearly all codecs compress, hence the name-Codec means Compressor/Decompressor.

It’s not digital zooming or changing the pixel size or aspect ratio, it’s converting to a friendlier editing format. Both these codecs are broadcast and feature film professionals format of choice for many years not.

This will make your editing a breeze.

You can also consult the Facebook Group Adobe Premiere Pro Editors on Facebook. These guys are mostly pros like me. They can answer almost any question. Between Creative Cow and them, you can get the info you need.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/adobepremierepro

Good luck!

• Alex Lau

September 14, 2020 at 11:29 pm

My original footage was H.264 mp4.

1. How do I edit in ProRes ?

2. Is there any need to render to ProRes?

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can. Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy