Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Storage & Archiving G-RAID in RAID-1 configured to exFAT on Windows?

• G-RAID in RAID-1 configured to exFAT on Windows?

• Ryan Allard

November 26, 2020 at 11:45 pm

So I got a data wrangling gig on a production and will be supplied a 20tb G-RAID to make backups to. I am using a Windows laptop. I won’t be getting the G-RAID until I show up to set the day of and since it seems that G-RAID is catered to Mac users I want to make sure there are no surprises. Essentially I want it to be able to read/write onto the drive and for it to then be accessible for the editor as well, who I assume is working on a Mac. From doing some research it seems like first I’ll have to “initialize the disk” through Disk Management with a GPT partition style so that my computer can read it. Then I will be able to open it in the G-RAID Configurator app, where I will be able to configure it to RAID 1 and exFAT so that it can read/write to both windows and mac. So I just want to clear things up. Is this workflow possible? If not, what could be a solution to my issue? Thanks

• Mike Drew

November 30, 2020 at 3:29 am

I would not wait until the day of the shoot as you might get a thunderbolt RAID and not have the right connections. Also exFat is crap on spinning disks as it was produced for Flash drives etc. Double check with the editor directly what their requirements are and don’t assume anything. If you are doing the main copy on windows NTFS will be much better. Macs can read NTFS. There are utilities for very little money that can R/W to NTFS on MacOS.

HTH, Mike

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy