Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Apple Final Cut Pro › FCP X media files – error code 43 when copying

  • FCP X media files – error code 43 when copying

    Posted by Mark Wagstaff on June 21, 2012 at 2:12 am

    I have deleted an event from within FCP X and I am now trying to copy the media (.mov) files from my MacPro hard disk to a share on my NAS. I keep getting this error “The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error -43.)”

    I have tried Google and this refers to illegal filename characters (eg *) but there are none. Other suggestions are file permissions. I have set the files themselves to rwxrwxrwx (777) and the NAS to read/write for all user, groups and everyone (ie the same as the file).

    Odd thing is, some files will copy over. These files have the same permissions as the files that won’t copy. The files themsleves are video clips and they play fine in QuickTime.

    Is there any metadata or links added to the files by FCP X that have not been corrupted? Any way to inspect the files or to ‘clean’ them?

    I’m stumped. Any advice gratefully received.

    Mark Wagstaff replied 14 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Jeremy Garchow

    June 21, 2012 at 4:23 am

    How big are GE files that won’t transfer? What about the ones that will?

  • Mark Wagstaff

    June 21, 2012 at 6:32 am

    Thanks for the reply.

    There are a range of sizes of files that will and won’t copy over. They are in the range of tens to a couple of hundred MB.

    rgds,

  • Jeremy Garchow

    June 21, 2012 at 2:31 pm

    Take one of the files that won’t copy and duplicate it on the Finder, does it duplicate?

    Can you move it out of the current folder?

  • Mark Wagstaff

    June 22, 2012 at 1:47 pm

    Thanks for the follow up.

    I tried copying one of the problem files to the desktop and then to the NAS – same error message.

    Any ideas?

  • Jeremy Garchow

    June 22, 2012 at 2:50 pm

    Odd.

    Can you copy them to any other dive except the NAS?

    From the desktop, get info on the clip, what are the permissions? Can you change them?

  • Mark Wagstaff

    June 28, 2012 at 11:08 am

    I can copy them to hard disks on the Mac but not to either of my NASs.

    Permissions are also odd but with all files: If I check permissions of a file on my NAS using Finder I see: Owner – (unknown), Group – staff and Everyone. If I check the same file using Pathfinder I see: Owner – markwagstaff (501), staff (20) and Everyone appears in the permissions table. Permissions are the same despite the Owner being unknown using Finder.

    If I then copy the file to the desktop and check permissions again Finder and Pathfinder are identical; Finder identifies Owner as markwagstaff (me).

    Any ideas ?

  • Jeremy Garchow

    June 28, 2012 at 5:10 pm

    [Mark Wagstaff] “Any ideas ?”

    No, it’s very odd. I’m sorry I don’t have an answer for you.

    WHo makes the NAS perhaps try calling them?

    Jeremy

  • Mark Wagstaff

    July 8, 2012 at 8:41 am

    Thank you for your assistance on this. I have raised a ticket with Netgear but they have no resolution as yet. I’ll post back if they come up with something.

    I’m convinced this is to do with handling of usernames and permissions but I’m not savvy enough to change anything.

    Thanks again.

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy