Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy › FCP to PTools – OMF 30p vs. 29.97

  • FCP to PTools – OMF 30p vs. 29.97

    Posted by Brian Novelli on April 1, 2010 at 7:17 pm

    Hello. I’m running FCP7 on MacBook Pro and currently editing 5D HD 1920 X 1080 30p 48k H.264 that has been converted to Apple Pro Res 422 LT. I’ve exported an Offline RT 30p QT for the Composer and SFX Designer, along with an OMF. The OMF states it is 29.97. Where as the QT is in 30p.

    My question is… since FCP does not import OMF (and budget does not allow for a 3rd party plug-in), it seems the Pro Tools fellas will have to give me an AIFF instead. Will this file be in sync with my 30p sequence? Should I make them an Offline RT 29.97 QT? Thank you!

    John Pale replied 16 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Chris Borjis

    April 1, 2010 at 8:51 pm

    give them a quicktime file that matches the OMF.

    when they play the quicktime file if it’s out of sync you have a problem.

  • Michael Gissing

    April 1, 2010 at 10:10 pm

    When you converted the 5D files to ProRes what frame rate did you choose? If you left it at 30 then you might have a problem as I do not know if OMFs can support true 30 frame, after all when was that an available shooting option all those years ago when OMF was set in mud.

    You may have to use Compressor to make a 29.97 QT file for them to work to and then then delivered mix file should be sped up .1% when they make the aif to drop back into the timeline. Avoid wav files for this as FCP is mostly getting them wrong and sync is drifting for many people.

  • Brian Novelli

    April 1, 2010 at 10:57 pm

    hello Michael, When converting I kept the files at 30p. Keep in mind this show is for the web.

  • John Pale

    April 3, 2010 at 3:26 am

    [Brian Novelli] “hello Michael, When converting I kept the files at 30p. Keep in mind this show is for the web.”

    I think Michael meant that the OMF format might have problems with that frame rate, as it basically only supports what an Avid supports (I don’t believe it is a valid project setting for Avid). OMF is an old protocol, created by Avid (not Apple!)…it has not been updated in a very long time and Avid now uses AAF by default.

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy