Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Apple Final Cut Pro X FCP crash on import H624 .mov files

• FCP crash on import H624 .mov files

• steve knattress

October 15, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Has any one else got a problem with fcx 10.0.1 crashing whilst verifying files on import?

I am trying to import files from my POV.HD camera which records 1080p25 .mov files.

They do not import but crash fcx (hangs and computer is very non-reponsive, requires force quit)
    This happens whether I choose to to use proxy or transcode the files.

The H624 files play in quicktime (Pro and X) without a problem

The same files converted to prores with streamclip import without a problem

I had imported, played and indexed many of these files with 10.0 but am totally unable to import any files with 10.0.1

I have may hours of material which I wish to natively index and comp before converting to prores.

If I have to convert EVERYTHING to prores before I import (yawn yawn… the only reason I moved my project from fcp7 to X, I might as well import it into avid and edit it there!

Steve

• Tom Wolsky

October 15, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Really need exact information not generic. What’s the camera? How are you importing exactly? What exactly does the movie inspector in the QT player say the specs of the media are?

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs “Complete Training for FCP7,” “Basic Training for FCS” and “Final Cut Express Made Easy”
    Coming in 2011 “Complete Training for FCPX” from Class on Demand
    “Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users” from Focal Press

• T. Payton

October 15, 2011 at 9:58 pm

If it is actually crashing FCP X, I would give Apple a call.

——
    T. Payton
    OneCreative, Albuquerque

• steve knattress

October 16, 2011 at 8:09 am

It was a generic question because I have heard of other .mov files crashing fcx on import.

The .mov files are recorded on a SD card in a VIO POV.hd head camera, (recorded 1080p25 at “best” quality

quicktime reports the files as H264 1920×1080, Millions AAC Mono 16,000 Hz at 12.09 mbits/s

a 30 sec clip is 45.5MB which grows to 202.9 MB as proresLT

As I said FCX10.0 had no problem importing and playing the files, which I comped in native H264 then transcoded just the “few” parts I wanted to further edit with. I do not wish to convert all of my material to pro res before “editing” which was what i used to have to do with FCP7.

Steve

• Tom Wolsky

October 16, 2011 at 8:36 am

The camera isn’t supported in FCP because it records compressed audio with the video. The material cannot be imported using the camera import function because the format is an unsupported proprietary recording method. You could convert it using MPEG Streamclip.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs “Complete Training for FCP7,” “Basic Training for FCS” and “Final Cut Express Made Easy”

• steve knattress

October 16, 2011 at 9:12 am

Thanks Tom, Im not using camera import but file import.

The files imported fine with fcp7 fcpX10.0 just not with the new “improved” 10.0.1 version!

• steve knattress

October 16, 2011 at 10:11 am

All be warned.

I have just tired run fcpx with a previous ( V10.0) events folder on my raid5 drive.

There were many hours of logged shots from the above camera which were aliased in the events folder to my main archiving drive (it was online)

The folder was updated to the new format but I assume when it “looked” at the files they are no longer “compatible” with the same version, the computer hung at validating files again, then crashed.

Is it possible to relink my aliased links to now non readible H264 files to say a new folder of the same transcoded ( to prores? if I have enough room) files or have I lost all of that work?

FCp7 to FCX is not possible, it now looks as if FCP10.0 to 10.01 is not possible in some cases too.!!!!

• Tom Wolsky

October 16, 2011 at 11:09 am

They might have imported into 7 but they should NEVER be used there. Both the video codec and the audio compression should never be used in 7. The media must be converted. It is not supported in any version of Final Cut.

All the best,

Tom

• steve knattress

October 16, 2011 at 12:28 pm

From the apple web site:

“Final Cut Pro natively supports more formats than ever, including AVCHD, H.264 from DSLRs, and a range of professional formats. Resolution independence lets you mix and match formats and frame rates all the way up to 4K. Final Cut Pro also supports compressed audio formats — including MP3 and AAC”

FCPX10.0 USED to import these FILES 10.0.1 DOES NOT

• Tom Wolsky

October 16, 2011 at 6:21 pm

FCP has never supported compressed audio in a video file. Not in any version.

All the best,

Tom

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy