Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Adobe Premiere Pro › Exporting

  • Exporting

    Posted by Andsom on January 7, 2007 at 4:53 pm

    Hi

    I am having a few issues with exporting my footage from Premiere Pro 2. If anybody can help me out with this I will be eternally grateful.

    The footage was shot on DV PAL format 16:9.

    The issues I’m having are: When I export the footage and it’s played back on an HDTV I get weird ‘ghosting’ or ‘blurring’ when there are any quick movements. This does not happen with TV shows or professional DVDs. Is there a way I can fix this?

    What are the very best export settings for the footage. I am planning on taking it into Encore for DVD authoring afterward. Disc space isn’t an issue so I really want the very best looking image quality and sound I can get without any image distortion. I assume it would be best as an uncompressed AVI but I’m not sure about interlacing, prog scan etc. Ideally, I’d like it to look good on any TV (SD or HD) as normal TV and DVDs do.

    Any tips? I’m quite new to the exporting thing.

    Thanks very much.

    Andrew

    Mike Velte replied 19 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Mike Velte

    January 8, 2007 at 12:16 pm

    How long is your movie? What were your export settings (bitrate/CBR/VBR)? What is the mix of high motion to still static shots?

  • Andsom

    January 8, 2007 at 11:03 pm

    I’ve been exporting at VBR 2 Pass, Lower Field.

    The film is around 9 mins. Most of it is pretty static, people standing talking etc but there are afew shots with swift head and arm movements and some walking. It’s these bits that it looks nasty on HDTVs.

  • Mike Velte

    January 9, 2007 at 12:24 pm

    You did not mention the most critical info…the bitrate. 2 pass vbr is just a waste of time on movies less than 1 hour. 7 mbps CBR is about as high as you want to go using PCM audio.
    Also,
    SD footage shot with prosumer equipment (cam and lighting) and then stretched out on a HDTV is going to look poorer than on a regular SD set. Further, 16:9 pixels are even bigger than 4:3 pixels, making things worse.

  • Andsom

    January 10, 2007 at 1:18 am

    Hi.

    Thanks very much. So you would recommend CBR 7Mbps output for optimum quality? It was at target 6 with a max of 8 before. I’ll give it a try tonight and let you know how I get on. We shot in 16:9 on a Sony PD170.

    Will using these setting help it look better on an HD set?

  • Mike Velte

    January 11, 2007 at 12:33 pm

    Image quality wont improve with my settings. With your settings of 8 mbps max plus 1.2 mbps PCM audio, puts the total high enough to choke some DVD players, causing other problems.
    It is possible that another encoder might do better…like Procoder or Cinema Craft, but either costs more than Premiere.
    Your biggest problem is the larger 16:9 pixels stretched across a large screen.

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy