Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity Forums VEGAS Pro DV video capture crashing in Vegas 16

• DV video capture crashing in Vegas 16

Posted by Karl Buhl on August 29, 2018 at 12:40 am

Hi. It has been a long time since I have been on creative cow. I’m back with a problem that has probably been discussed 1000 times on the forum.

I am trying to capture (about 50) DV video tapes via the new Vegas 16. The capture runs for a few seconds with a hundred or more dropped frames, and then the capture application crashes.

The Sony DCR-TRV320 camcorder was recently repaired.
    iLink cable out from TRV320 > new (for me) Vantec FireWire 800/400 PCIe combo host card.
    Windows 10 64-bit OS … so I installed the Windows 1394 OHCI 64-bit legacy compliant host controller.
    Capture software drives the tape transport, so the firewire interface is working.
    Brand new 8-core Intel i7-7700 3.60 GHz processor.
    16MB of RAM
    Save-to drive is a dedicated, internal data-only 2TB HD.

Frustratingly, I had this working several months ago (before the camcorder repair). And now (surprise) something has changed.

Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions.
    Thank you.

Karl Buhl replied 5 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Francois Pénzes

August 29, 2018 at 11:25 am

Hi Karl

Have you tried to capture your files with the Sony provided software ? Sony had a utility called “ru_util.exe”.

Originally supplied with the HVR-MRC1 recording unit.

Use it first to capture your file and then import to Vegas.

File is only 334kb.

12676_ruutil.exe.zip

Let us know how it turns out.

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz
    Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
    Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio Mini
    Vegas Pro 14, User since Vegas 3.0

\’\’When the cutting stops, the editing begins…\’\’

• Karl Buhl

August 29, 2018 at 7:18 pm

Francois — Thank you for your response and for attaching the application.

The application appears to be a video import utility (vs. a video tape capture utility). It is designed to import video files from data drives. (See attached screen shot.) It does not recognize the camera via FireWire for live video capture. I need to capture DV tape from the camcorder via FireWire.

Either I am misunderstanding the application (possible; but I don’t think so)—or perhaps you uploaded the wrong app?

Thanks again.

• John Norton

August 29, 2018 at 10:21 pm

Hi Karl, you could try this … https://www.scenalyzer.com
    Its free, just enter the licence key supplied.

It worked for me when VP15 capture app stopped working.

• Francois Pénzes

August 31, 2018 at 10:32 am

Hi Karl

That is odd. It’s what I use for capturing archived DV tapes via firewire.

Did John’s solution work for you ?

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz
    Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
    Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio Mini
    Vegas Pro 14, User since Vegas 3.0

\’\’When the cutting stops, the editing begins…\’\’

• Karl Buhl

August 31, 2018 at 8:41 pm

John & Francois — Thank you for your continued support here.

I had tried Scenalyzer previously, but I had not had a key to the SW. Now with the SW key, based on a quick test of about 1-minute of video, Scenalyzer appears to work.

LOL! One fellow in his garage (or attic) codes software, now eight years ago, that can capture video where Magix (Vegas) and CyberLink (PowerDirector) can’t. As a former software guy, it makes me laugh.

So far, so good. I will see how far I can get with Scenalyzer, and report back.

On a tangent, I suspect that my Sony DV camera is perhaps too outdated for the contemporary software above. Are either of you aware of any replacement hardware for playing back these Video8 and Hi8 tapes, that is compatible with Vegas 16 or PowerDirector, and also doesn’t cost $500?

Thanks again. I knew Creative Cow would come through. Moo!
    Karl

• Karl Buhl

September 4, 2018 at 2:52 pm

One last post related to this thread: I discovered that Vegas 16 Pro will capture the video, but only to the C-drive.

My C-drive is dedicated to the operating system. So this required quite a bit of experimentation to discover what the issue was.

Cheers,
    Karl

• Steve Kauzlarich

September 4, 2018 at 4:46 pm

Karl:

I use a Sony GV -200 Digital 8 deck to capture Hi-8. The deck does a superb job, but the only drawback is that it doesn’t capture PCM audio. So when necessary, I’m using my EVO-9720 to capture audio, as the 9720 has capacitor problems and the video is bad.

For DV I use a Sony GV-HD700/1 which works fine. I bought both of these decks new just before they were discontinued, knowing that at some point I would need to digitize hundreds of tapes. And BTW – tapes going back to 1992 work just as they did when shot. No dropout, they just played back. I’m sure you can find both decks on eBay.

Also, I located an application (actually several that work as one), which converts 60i avi files, and 60i HD files to 60p. The fields are converted to frames and interpolated into full frames and saved to mp4. All other deinterlacers are JUNK in my opinion. It was written by a talented amateur programmer named Al, and it does a superb job.

Like most on this board I’m a perfectionist, but I was astounded by the quality and clarity of the video. At 60p, the Hi8 and DV takes on a whole new look and they become ALIVE! The file size of the Hi8 .mp4 avi files are about 1/5 the size of the original capture. Al is currently working on a feature that will uprez during the conversion process.

Here’s the link: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/370304-How-do-convert-a-Digital8-AVI-to-play-on-a-Roku3
    Scroll down to the post by “AL” at 19th Feb 2015 18:42. You won’t be disappointed.

Steve Kauzlarich

• Karl Buhl

September 4, 2018 at 5:06 pm

Hi Steve, and thanks for your response. I have noted these decks, and will look around eBay. Capturing form the Sony DCR-TRV320 camcorder works reasonably well. My oldest tapes date back to 1985, and although there are a few dropouts here and there, the quality is surprisingly good.

Cheers,
    Karl

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy