Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › DaVinci Resolve › DR 15 jagged edges in video on Source and Timeline monitor.

  • DR 15 jagged edges in video on Source and Timeline monitor.

    Posted by Kenneth Maultsby on September 4, 2019 at 1:13 am

    Hello everyone
    I have noticed an issue which I didn’t pick up at first but, now I see it. I attended an Air Show a few weeks ago and shot it in 4K. I noticed that in the Source monitor and the timeline monitor I notice that the example the taxi lines edges and plane wings edges there is almost like a saw tooth look of tearing. I did a couple of HD projects before this and I went back and noticed the same thing but a little less but the final product was ok. I am trying I out two other editing software an I am not having this issue. Assume it is a setting that will have to change. The 4K was shot in 3840×2160 @ 59.94 and transcoded to MP4 H.264.

    Any ideas?

    OS Windows 10 CPU AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 3.70 GHz
    Memory 32 gb
    Hard drives C: SSD OS and Programs
    F: 2 TB Documents and other programs
    G: Drobo 6TB photos and videos
    H: SSD 500 gb Cache drive
    I: RockStor Raid 0 1×4 TB

    Kenneth Maultsby replied 7 years ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Marc Wielage

    September 4, 2019 at 3:21 am

    Sounds like an interlace problem to me. Long-GOP H.264 is bad for post in general.

    There are workflows that can convert interlace to progressive, and I would look into those with a Google search.

  • Kenneth Maultsby

    September 4, 2019 at 9:27 am

    I would agree with you but on two other editing software I have no issues, and I have notice on some of my past projects from my Sony camcorder which is 1080i mts2 and transcode to MP4 I see on both source and timeline monitor.

    OS Windows 10 CPU AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 3.70 GHz
    Memory 32 gb
    Hard drives C: SSD OS and Programs
    F: 2 TB Documents and other programs
    G: Drobo 6TB photos and videos
    H: SSD 500 gb Cache drive
    I: RockStor Raid 0 1×4 TB

  • Glenn Sakatch

    September 9, 2019 at 7:26 pm

    Can you postan image of what you are seeing?

    Jagged can mean interlaced…Or low res proxy…be nice to see an example

    Glenn

  • Marc Wielage

    September 10, 2019 at 2:34 am

    “and I have notice on some of my past projects from my Sony camcorder which is 1080i mts2 and transcode to MP4…”

    Both MTS2 (basically a DVD-compressed format) and MP4 (actually Long-GOP H.264 in an MP4 container) are generally very bad for post. You would be considerably better off transcoding to DNxHD or ProRes for the project.

  • Kenneth Maultsby

    September 10, 2019 at 7:35 am

    ” generally very bad for post. You would be considerably better off transcoding to DNxHD or ProRes for the project.”

    Can you guys give me a suggestion on what can I use to transcode to DNxHD and DNxHR? I have Media Composer can I place the clip in that and transcode files or that will not work?

    OS Windows 10 CPU AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 3.70 GHz
    Memory 32 gb
    Hard drives C: SSD OS and Programs
    F: 2 TB Documents and other programs
    G: Drobo 6TB photos and videos
    H: SSD 500 gb Cache drive
    M: 2TB SSD Media drive
    I: 1TB SSD Media drive 2

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy