Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Avid Media Composer Datavideo DAC-2 on Avid Media Composer in 2021

• Datavideo DAC-2 on Avid Media Composer in 2021

• Paco Sweetman

February 2, 2021 at 9:34 am

Hi there,

I’m using Avid 8.4.4 on a MacPro Tower 2012, with OSX Mojave. I’ve been trying to solve the problem of capturing VHS / Hi8 for my clients for a while. We tried a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle and it caused a lot of stuttering as I figured we needed a TBC to stabilize the picture.

Picked up a Datavideo DAC-2 but it’s not reading on either Avid or Premiere Pro CC.

Could it be a driver issue? Or is there a case that Mojave or the version of Avid I have isn’t reading it. I’m having to run the Firewire 400 lead into an adaptor, but that hasn’t been a problem for my other FW400 peripherals.

Any ideas or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Pat Horridge

February 2, 2021 at 10:20 am

There are only certain I/O solutions that Avid supports and they are accessed via the I/O solutions provider as additional software.

Datavideo don’t provide that so you won’t be able to capture directly that way.

However if it has its on capture software I’d capture via that and then ingest the resulting files.

For VHS you probably need a VHS deck with a TBC built in like the Panasonic edit decks do (as do some of the Sony decks and even the JVC decks but they are all professional decks) a domestic deck will likely yield poor results.

• Andre D’Elena

February 2, 2021 at 11:34 am

I’m using a video scaler as a TBC to capture Hi8 video tape footage with an AJA KIPro solid state video recorder. The Hi8 machine does have its own TBC but, for some reason, some tapes do not synch well (it’s about 50/50 at this point.) I mention it only because it has been an inexpensive solution for us. It was $60 delivered on ebay. It’s the cheapest “TBC” available.

• Robert Ober

February 2, 2021 at 2:28 pm

I have used a Datavideo TBC for this but I believe I used the Blackmagic Media Express as the capture tool with an internal BMD card.

I have advised folks for years to not use Media Composer for this type of capture. The Shuttle to Media Express might work.

Also, there is an issue with some Mac Pros on Mojave with stuttering audio, but your 2012 should be OK.

Hope you solve it,

Robert

• Paco Sweetman

February 2, 2021 at 4:35 pm

Thanks Robert. I’m going to try that. I’ll run it out of the DAC2 for the TBC and then run it into the Shuttle and capture using Media Express.

• Robert Ober

February 2, 2021 at 5:49 pm

Hope that works, please let us know either way:-)

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy