Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy › Can’t play .mov files created by JVC GY HM700u

  • Can’t play .mov files created by JVC GY HM700u

    Posted by Steve Byerly on March 24, 2010 at 1:59 am

    I use a JVC GY HM700u camera. The files created work well with my Final Cut Pro, but I’m looking for a way to play back those files on my PC for logging purposes. I thought I would be able to play them in Quicktime Pro but I get no video, just audio and timecode. Does anyone have an idea how I can play these files on my PC, hopefully with timecode for logging purposes?

    Thanks,
    Steve

    Kevin Michael replied 15 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Michael Gissing

    March 24, 2010 at 8:06 am

    Sounds like the codec is missing on the PC. This has been mentioned a few times on this forum so a quick search here might reveal a link to download the HDV codec (I am guessing as I don’t know exactly what you are using)

    If you have been transcoding to ProRes, those codecs for quicktime on a PC are available. Again a search here will uncover more, probably a link.

  • Cecille Plomp

    March 30, 2010 at 3:01 pm

    Dear Steve, Did you manage to solve your problem?
    I also have the same camera and issues with PC – Adobe CS4 and MOV files.
    Did you find a codec to install?
    Maybe someone has a link, cannot really find it here in the forum; I am also a new user still need to find my way in this forum I guess.
    thanks
    Cecille

  • Kevin Michael

    July 19, 2011 at 3:53 pm

    on a macintosh, one needs the Perian XDCAM component, installed in the QuickTime folder in the Library folder on the boot drive. we had the same problem, as we had students with FCP 5 through 7.
    I have not found a way to get the same JVC footage into FCPX.

    km

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy