Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Apple Final Cut Pro X Calibrating the AV OUTPUT: DisplayCal 3.8.9.3

• Calibrating the AV OUTPUT: DisplayCal 3.8.9.3

• Alan Langdon

February 25, 2021 at 7:04 pm

I recently purchased the BlackMagic UltraStudio Monitor 3G, so that I may monitor my AV output correctly when using DaVinci and FCPX. I have successfully done this within DaVinci Resolve 16, which has its own hookup to DisplayCal, allowing one to calibrate specifically for the Resolve AV OUT.

Until recently, I have done color correction mostly in FCPX (FCPX’s own Color Wheels, etc, and Color Finale Pro), using the second monitor to color correct, after profiling and calibrating it using either i1 Display Pro’s own software or DELL’s DUCCS software. This gave me trustworthy results, and I didn’t usually have surprises when I watched my corrected footage outside my edit room.

But now that I purchased the UltraStudio Monitor 3G, which uses the FCPX AV OUT feature, and I don’t know how to calibrate & profile that output (which seems to ignore/bypass Apple’s Display profiles such as the ones I created for regular 2nd monitor monitoring). As I said, I have successfully done this for use with/within DaVinci Resolve 16, which has its own in-software hookup to DisplayCal, allowing one to calibrate specifically for the Resolve AV OUT.

In the cae of FCPX (10.4.6 running in Mojave on a MacMini 2019) I can choose, within BlackMagic’s Desktop Video Setup, the resolution, frame-rate and color space for FCPX, but what about profiling? Is this possible or does FCPX just apply its own color science and not need software calibration such as DisplayCal?

Many thanks,

Alan

Viewing 1 of 1 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy